Chapter 9

RECAP:

   Just as we closed our eyes, we heard some footsteps coming from my side. My head snapped to where the footsteps came from, and my heart started beating in horror. A huge shape came toward us, holding a stick of some sort.

     I knew it! A man with an axe about to cut our limbs and shred our souls in the most excruciating way ever. I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the worst to happen, when a strangely familiar voice called out.

     “Ashley?”

Chapter 9~

    I opened my eyes in surprise. I tried to train my eyes through the dark to see who it was. When I saw the familiar lopsided smile with a dimple, I shot up and took a hesitant step forwards. I heard Tyler scramble to his feet, and I could feel his presence right next to me.

     “Jeremy? Jeremy Henderson?” I said uncertainly. Was it him? I didn’t want to look like a fool and fling my arms around a person who I wasn’t 100% sure of.

     “That’s me, baby! Where’ve you been?” Jeremy exclaimed, laughing. A gasp escaped my lips as he took a stride forward and enveloped me in a giant hug. At first, I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t used to someone showing me affection.

     So I placed my hands on his broad back and patted it awkwardly. Geez when did he get so broad-shouldered? Instead of letting me go, however, he lifted me off my feet and twirled me in a circle. I screamed in laughter and ordered him to put me down.

     I heard a throat being cleared and I suddenly remembered about Tyler amidst the reunion. Oops.

   “Oh, sorry. Umm Remy, this is Tyler my… friend,” I introduced. I hesitated on the friend part considering our almost-kiss just when Jeremy came in.

     “Tyler, this Is Jeremy. He and I went to the same camp when we were 11. We didn’t exactly get along, but we didn’t hate each other either,” I explained, smiling at the memories.

     “Hey, I wouldn’t have minded you one bit if you hadn’t been such a moody pre-teen,”

     “Oh shut it,”

     I glanced sideways at Tyler and saw his face hardened and…angry? What was his problem? He caught my eye and I sent him a questioning look which he deliberately ignored.

     I rolled my eyes and turned back to Jeremy and smiled widely. Jeremy had obviously noticed the tension in the atmosphere and he just stood there scratching the back of his neck nervously.

     “Umm…nice to meet you Tyler,” Jeremy muttered, sticking his hand out. I nearly burst out laughing. Jeremy was never good with meeting people formally. He’d usually stick to hugs and fist-pumps, but I guess the older Jeremy had to act mature.

     Tyler silently shook his hand in a firm grip. What’s up with him? Was he on his man-period? “Okay so, we should probably get going now, Remy. It was nice seeing you again,” I said, trying to be cheerful.

     “Wait, where are you going?” he asked, his brows furrowing. “Oh umm we’re going to go find my father…in New York,” I replied, looking at the ground. It sounded so stupid when I said it out loud. But well, it was what it was.

     “New York?! Wow…that’s quite a journey there. Aren’t you guys hungry and tired or something?” he asked with raised eyebrows. “Well, we got food but it somehow disappeared. And as to the tiredness, we had rest stops along the way,”

     “And how exactly did you get here?”

     I gestured towards the worn out bike. I was surprised the wheels hadn’t gone flat yet. His eyebrows shot up even further, if that were possible.