Chapter 28

Chapter 28~

I think the same shocked and disbelieving expression gave away how I knew something vital when I bumped into Tyler. “What do you know that I don’t, Lee?” he said, following me to my bedroom. My mouth was still agape, and my eyes were still wide open.

     “I…I need to think,” I told him, slightly annoyed with him. “But-“he began.

      “Leave, please,” I said to him firmly, looking him in the eye. He clenched his jaw and gave a brief nod before exiting the room. I lay on the bed and stared at my hands.

     Who would’ve thought that so much had happened with my dads life?

     And what about Chris? How would it feel like to have grown up without a mother? I mean sure, I didn’t have a father, but at least I knew my father wasn’t dead. But Chris? He knew his mom was dead and gone.

     Why didn’t my dad tell me about it? I know I’ve only stayed here a few days, but he should’ve told me I had an adoptive brother. Sighing, I got out of bed and stumbled out of the room, still dazed. I walked out the room mindlessly and entered the living room. My dad was sitting on the couch, flipping through the channels on his giant flat screen that was on the wall.

     His eyes flickered to me and a smile tugged at the ends of his lips. But I didn’t smile back. Did he actually think I forgave him after he chose his fucking work before family? Not a chance. The hope that lit in his eyes were dimmed, and his smile slowly slid off his face as he realized I didn’t come to forgive him.

     He sat up straight and switched off the T.V, patting the space next to him on the couch. But I ignored it and resumed standing at the doorway, my face emotionless whereas my mind swimming with emotions of rage, sadness, guilt and longing…

     “Why didn’t you tell me?” I said quietly, not dropping the eye contact. Confusion swirled in my dads eyes as he tried to process my question. “Tell you what, Ashley?” he replied, still confused. I looked deep into him and found that he really didn’t know what I was talking about.

     “Why not tell me that I have an adoptive brother?” I asked him, a little louder. Realization dawned on his face, with a  mixture of disbelief and hopelessness. “A-Are you talking about Chris?” he replied, his voice small.

     I nodded.

     “I didn’t see any reason to tell you,” he said softly, staring down at his hands. I clenched my fists, feeling my nails dig into my flesh. I felt like I was about to explode with how much anger and hurt I was feeling at the moment.

     “No reason to tell me?” I repeated, enunciating each word clearly. He gulped and looked up at me, guilt written all over his face. But my anger didn’t falter. “NO FUCKING REASON TO TELL ME?!” I yelled at him, taking a step forward.

     He winced at how loud I was, and then put a stern face on. “Don’t talk to me like-“ he began.

   “Like what?” I sneered back. “After all these years of ditching our family for your precious job, you have the audacity to pull the father role on me? Not a fucking chance. You lost your go at becoming my father as soon as you walked out those doors,”

      He opened his voice to retort, but I cut him off again. “And why didn’t you tell me about Chris, huh? Thought it would be better for me to find out on my own and get the shock of my life? What else are you hiding? I mean, is Sarah really my mother or is my real mother one of those sluts you banged?” I snarled.

     His eyes grew cold and hard. And that’s when I knew I took it too far. He sat up quickly and marched over to me, fuming with anger. “Don’t you dare talk about your mother like that,” he seethed. I swallowed and glared back at him defiantly, watching the flames dance in his eyes.