Chapter 31

Chapter 31~

*TYLER’S POV*

      I stepped out of the car after my many persuasions of dropping me off first. As much as I wanted to be there for Ashley when she needed the support, it was a family moment and I didn’t want to intrude. So after pleading them thoroughly, they finally agreed to drop me off first.

     And to be honest, I was shitting myself. I mean, did my dad care? Did he realize I was gone? Sure, I put Tia in the responsibility of our trusty neighbors, but was it a wise decision? My palms started sweating and my heart rate picked up.

     Shit. I should’ve thought this through. I mentally groaned and ran a hand through my hair as I walked up the front steps. I heard the crunch of gravel as Ashley and her dad drove off.

     For some vague reason, I had a tug of uneasiness with Ashley being with her dad. I know he had changed, but somehow I couldn’t get rid of the violent images of him treating Ashley like crap when she was only two years old.

     But at the moment, it didn’t worry me as much as it would have. At the moment, my mind was wandering nervously around the different scenarios that entered my brain. Maybe my dad forgot about me. Maybe he went out looking for me. Maybe he took his frustration out on Tia.

     My heart wrenched at the last thought. If he had hurt Tia, I’d make sure he wouldn’t see daylight in a while. With a newfound resolution, I marched through the last few steps towards the door and with a trembling hand, I opened the door handle.

     I swallowed slowly and stepped inside my house. A warm feeling filled me as I took the sight of my house again. It was so familiar…and so welcoming.

     I took an unsure step forward, as if there were bombs planted on the carpet. “Tyler?” said a clearly relieved voice at the living room doorway. I turned to my side and saw my father standing there in wrinkled clothes. He looked like hell. His eyes had dark circles underneath them, and dark stubble was growing on his chin and cheeks.

     “D-Dad?” I croaked, wanting to kick myself at how vulnerable I sounded. My eyes widened as my dad strode across the hall with an unreadable expression. His fists were enclosed, and for a brief second I panicked. Was he going to hit me?

     Well, I did deserve it. I ran away without telling him or anyone. I didn’t even bother with Tia. I deserved him beating me up. I squeezed my eyes shut and willed my arms to stay at my side instead of defending myself.

     Before I knew it, I felt a pair of warm arms surrounding me. I snapped my eyes open and realized that my dad had his arms enclosed around me. My dad was hugging me. I was too shocked for words. Was I dreaming? But instead of talking, I cautiously raised my arms up too and returned the awkward hug.

     My dad was clearly shocked at my response, and his shoulders suddenly started shaking. I wasn’t stupid enough to think he was laughing, though. I awkwardly patted his back, trying to be comforting.

     He finally pulled away, placing his hands on either of my shoulders in an arm distance, eyeing me head to toe. His eyes were bloodshot red, and still slightly watery.

     “Where were you?” he finally choked out, clutching my shoulders tighter. For some reason, I didn’t process his question. My mind was on my little sister instead.

     “Where’s Tia?” I demanded, shaking my father’s hands off. It felt weird and…wrong.

     He sighed and ran a hand over his worn out face. “She’s upstairs sleeping. Do you have any idea how worried we all were? Where have you been? And why haven’t you told any of us? I thought you…I thought you ran away for good,”