Chapter 30

Chapter 30~

     It seemed as if time froze. Literally. During those four knocks he made, my head was swimming and my eyes were glued to the door. I couldn’t feel anything. I didn’t even remember how to breathe properly.

     The door was opened frantically, revealing a much disheveled looking Alex- who looked as if he hadn’t slept in days.

     “Ashley!” he exclaimed, pulling me in for a hug. Although the hug was warm and much needed, it didn’t exactly calm my nerves. Apparently he didn’t notice his dad yet. Weird.

     It was when he pulled away did his green eyes flicker towards my father. Without a second to lose, his face went hard and rigid. His eyes that were filled with relief a split second ago were then replaced with anger and betrayal. He reached for my arm and yanked me inside the house behind him, leaving my dad on the porch.

     “What the fuck are you doing here?” Alex asked coldly, trying to calm down but in actuality was trembling with anger.

     “Hello Alex. It’s been a while, hasn’t it?” my dad replied nervously, trying to soothe the tense atmosphere. Pfft. Like that’s going to work. When Alex is on a roll, he is sure on a roll.

     “I said, what the fuck are you doing here?” Alex repeated in a hard voice. “Alex…” I said softly, tugging at his arm, but he ignored me.

     “I came back to my family,” my dad told him, almost casually, though there was a hint of anxiety. Alex shook his head vehemently. “No. You have no family. You have no family since the day you left us. You are no one to us. A stranger. An outsider.” Alex snarled.

     I noticed my dad flinch the teeniest bit at his words, but other than that, he wasn’t fazed. “I understand how angry and upset you must be at me. And I know it isn’t my right to come marching in here claiming I’m family. But, if you give me a chance, I would like to explain everything. From the beginning,” he explained.

     Alex’s fury wavered for a second, as if he was debating to allow him to explain. Finally, with a clenched jaw, he muttered, “I suppose you can get five minutes. But only five minutes,”

     My dad looked very noticeably relieved, and even I nearly jumped in joy. Everything was going smoothly…so far. My dad stepped in, and Alex held the door opened for him, a hard expression still on his face. He was clenching the door so hard that I thought he was going to break a chunk of the wood out.

     I followed my dad into the living room, and nearly banged onto his back when he abruptly stopped. I could hear his sharp intake of breath as he took in his surroundings. And I knew what he was thinking. Things have changed.

     Maybe not so drastically, but the house was less homey. It was messy and…empty. I looked at him and could’ve sworn his eyes watered the tiniest bit, but vanished when he noticed me looking at him. He smiled warily and I returned it, squeezing his hand lightly.

     “Sit,” Alex ordered, gesturing towards the dusty couch. My heart skipped a beat when I realized that is was the same couch from the family picture. I’m pretty sure my dad realized it too, since he stared at it with an unidentifiable expression, before finally seating himself on it.

     “Explain,” Alex demanded. I shot him a glare for being so rude, but he paid no attention to me. My dad scratched the back of his neck nervously, a thoughtful look on his face.

     “Alex, I know I haven’t been the best dad to you in the past-“

     Alex scoffed. “You haven’t even been a dad to begin with,” he said coldly. I bit my lower lip in worry. If Alex kept saying stuff like that…let’s just say things won’t get pretty.