Chapter 19

Chapter 19~

     After a day or two, my fever had reduced considerably. The agony that the wretched fever gave me was now completely gone, leaving me with only a blocked nose and a slightly sore throat. But otherwise, I felt as good as new.

     The weather outside was pretty wild. A storm started picking up, and all the weather channels we watched from the tiny box-like TV were predicting harsh rain for the next couple of days. So Tyler and I decided to postpone our departure from Jeremy’s house because of the downpour.

     I actually liked the rain. It was calming and peaceful. I would usually lie down on the bed with my earphones in, watching the rain pelt down against the windowpane. The other people in the house were always on their own. Jeremy was noticeably happier since I’d be staying in the house for a few more days with him. Yay. Every time I see or pass by Tyler, he always has a scowl on his face, grumbling about the rain.

     I suppose he wanted to get out of the house as soon as he could. Oh well. Mr Henderson was probably still in his room. He only came out when Cole arrived, to see if he wasn’t some murderer or something.

     And Cole? Cole had been acting pretty weird lately. Whenever we made eye contact, he used to smile knowingly at me, making me confused as fuck. Every time he speaks to me, he starts to say something in a serious face, but then someone walks in on us, causing Cole to clam up.

     It was really frustrating because I really wanted to know what his problem was. It was really starting to piss me the fuck off.

     I heard a knock on my door. I sat up and paused It Never Ends-Bring Me the Horizon and unplugged my earphones. “Come in!” I called out.

     The door opened and Jeremy came in, a big smile on his face. Weird. What was he so happy about? “Wow, that smile is a little too wide for my liking, Remy. What’s up?” I asked him.

     His smile somehow got even bigger if that were possible. “Hey babe,” he said and swooped down to plant a kiss on my lips. I tried to feel something special or tingly. Nothing. He pulled away and lay down next to me, wrapping an arm around me.

     He was warm, so I snuggled into him more. I could feel his chest rising and falling under my head. I felt comfortable. Peaceful. And with the rain pouring outside, it was a perfect place and time. But it wasn’t with the perfect person.

     I closed my eyes contentedly, listening to the rain outside and to Jeremy’s steady breathing. “Hey Ash?” his voice broke into my happy time.

     “Mmm?” I replied, trying not to show how annoyed I was. “I don’t want you to leave,” he said quietly. My heart wrung painfully at how sad and vulnerable he sounded. I sat up and placed both of my hands on either sides of his face.

     I looked him dead in his dark blue eyes filled with sadness and desperation. “Jeremy, I promise you that we will see each other again when I reach my father. Don’t worry. I really like you. And I would do anything to see you again. Okay?” I whispered softly, still looking searchingly into his eyes.

     He offered a small smile and nodded. I kissed him softly and leaned back again on his chest. It was silent for a moment, before it was me who broke the silence. “Remy?” I questioned, still toying with his shirt button.

     “Yeah babe?”

     “Tell me more about Cole. I find him…strange,” I replied. I could feel Jeremy stiffen underneath me. Shit. “He didn’t do anything to you, did he?” he said coldly. I frowned in confusion at how angry he sounded, but I shook my head.