Chp 10:

Nicolai:

I looked at her, her light brown hair moved with the slight crisp breeze, she was hard to resist.

She lay on her back looking up at the sky, "How do you deal with this? I mean your life, obviously you live a different life than most people. So what is it like?" she asked sitting up and looking down at me. I sat up too.

"It's nothing special. In fact it sucks."

"Why is that?"

"Most people expect me to be a stuck up jerk, who only cares about getting women and drinking." I said running a hand through my hair.

However I was- am like that.

"Not to offend you or anything, but that is the way you come across." she says, a kind but serious look in her eyes. I nodded.

"I know, so I've been told. It's not something I am proud of.

I have gone my whole life, with people judging me from left to right. So in a way, I brought it all upon myself."

"What would that be?"

"The way I come across, the way I deal with things...I drink...I hook up with women, for the longest time I wasn't taking life seriously. Until now."

"So, what changed it?"

"You did." I said looking at her, she looked to be in shock.

"I don't understand..."

"I guess I saw a part of myself in you. The part that nobody knows about.

The part that does have compassion, and actually acts like the adult I should be acting like, not the twenty year old frat kid I used to be."

I said bringing my knees up towards my chest and wrapping my arms around them.

"Than let people see that part of you Nick." I sat there looking intently at her, not saying a word.

"Or..at least let me see that part of you, I mean it's a start right?" she said touching my arm and then quickly removing her hand. I nodded

"You might be right."

She stood up and walked down to the edge of the boat and peered over it to see the water. A minute later I joined her.

I looked at her, a piece of her hair fell over her eye as she straightened up and looked ahead of the water, I moved my hand near her face and brushed the strand of hair back behind her ear.

She stood still an then turned to look at me. I smiled.

"What are you doing?" She said, our mouths inches apart, eyes locked on each others faces. She smelled like vanilla.

"Just-let me." I said as I cupped her face in the palm of my hand and brought her face closer to mine, our lips touching as I kissed her slowly and pinned her wrists behind her onto the railing of the boat.