Fourty (Final)

It takes Caroline a few minutes to finally pull herself together as she heads back into the party, the crowd somehow already bigger than it was before.

She pushes past the group of people, desperately trying to find Klaus in the mix of everyone. She finally spots him holding up a girl on a keg, the small group chanting for her to 'chug'. Caroline feels a pang if jealousy as he gives the small brunette a classic Klaus Mikaelson smirk. She giggles at something he says, gently placing her hand on his chest in response.

Caroline feels her heart practically sink as she watches the two of them. Maybe she's too late. Maybe he's moved on.

"Hey how'd things go?" Elena chimes in from behind Caroline, her smile slowly fading when she sees her best friend's expression.

"What's wrong?" Bonnie asks, now right by her side.

Caroline shakes her head, "it's nothing. Let's just go, okay?"

Elena frowns, finally spotting Klaus and the college girl. Her heart fires with rage.

"That asshole. I'm gonna go talk to him-"

"No, Elena. Don't. Please. I just wanna leave. Can we just go?" Caroline pleads her friend, but Elena can't back down.

"You guys go find the car, I have to say something first," she tells them.

Caroline sighs, knowing she can't change Elena's mind about all of this. She has to accept it; she and Klaus are done.

Caroline can't help it as she feels tears fall from her eyes. She tries to force them to stop, seeing as she's in public, but she can't. It's too much. It's all just too much.

"Come on Care, let's get outta here," Bonnie takes her arm, comforting her as she leads her out of the house.

Elena approaches Klaus and the girl with a scowl, "do you mind giving us a quick second to talk?"

The girl rolls her eyes, moving past them and further into the party.

"Hey! What the hell was that all about?" Klaus growls at the brunette who continues to stand tall.

"Oh I'm terribly sorry if I ruined all of your fun, but in case you didn't notice, you're being the biggest douche ever tonight," she says, her mouth dripping in sarcasm.

"I'm trying, Elena. I'm trying so hard to move on. Do you know how hard it is? To move on from someone like Caroline? It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do, so excuse me for not wanting to talk to her because in doing so, it makes it that much harder to move on," he fires back, the alcohol taking over most of his words.

"Are you some sort of idiot? Caroline is trying to get back together with you, Klaus! That's why she came here tonight. Kol said he wants you two to be together," Elena rolls her eyes in frustration.

Klaus frowns, "she wants to be with me?"

"Of course she does, Klaus! But now she's out there crying over you because she thinks you hate her and have moved on from everything."

Klaus takes a minute to process everything, cursing himself out as he tugs on his hair.

"What do I do?" he looks at her.

Elena sighs, "go talk to her before it's too late."

Klaus nods, gently giving her shoulder a squeeze as a way to say thank you before running out of the house, desperate to find her.

"Caroline? Caroline!" Klaus calls, searching the row of cars currently lined up.

Caroline turns around, the familiar voice making her heart skip a beat.

"Care, you don't have to talk to him," Bonnie whispers, "not if you don't want to. We can leave. You know that."

Caroline turns to her friend with a small smile, "I know. It's okay. Get in the car, I'll be in in a little while."

The brunette nods with a smile, heading past her as Caroline approaches Klaus, the rain soaking her clothes and hair.

"Don't you want to go talk to that girl some more? Or are you finally going to admit that I actually mean something to you?" Caroline fires at him, her first reaction being to feel annoyed at him.

"I apologize, love. I had no clue you were here to try to make things work again. I thought you had come to just check up on me because my brother ordered you to. I got mad, and I'm sorry," he attempts at an apology, sighing when her hurt expression doesn't fade.

She crosses her arms, "yeah well clearly. I wouldn't have just come here to lecture you, even though I should be. You haven't been to your house in days, Klaus. What's wrong?"

"I'm miserable without you. I miss you, Caroline, if it isn't obvious enough already," he sighs, running a hand through his curly locks.

She cups his cheek gently, "I miss you too."

His eyes meet hers, "so what are we even doing here? Why are we putting this off?"

"I don't know. There's nothing in our way anymore," Caroline mumbles, her eyes meeting his.

"Caroline, if we do this, I want you to know that I will try my hardest to make you happy. That's all I want," Klaus states, making her heart burst.

"I know, Klaus. That's what I want too," she smiles.

His lips move closer to hers, gently placing a kiss before pulling away.

"Hey, look, about Kol-"

"Whatever it is, Klaus, we'll figure it out together," she smiles up at him.

He kisses her one last time, "together."

The End

• • •

I hope you all enjoyed the book! Thank you all so much for your continuous support.

Please comment down below your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed!

XoXo