Thirty Three

"You left her?!" Marcel practically laughs, shaking his head at his friend's idiocy.

"What was I supposed to do? I didn't know how she would react! I was scared, okay?" Klaus rolls his eyes, his eyes fixated on the lunch table she always sits at. The frown on her face and the way she doesn't touch her food concerns him, but he's too afraid of what she might say to approach her.

"I'm sorry, did I just hear you correctly? Klaus Mikaelson? Scared? From a girl? Wow man, you're in love," Marcel laughs, shaking his head.

"I'm not in love. I just... I care about her, okay? I don't want her to get hurt, and the thought of losing her... Marcel, it terrifies me," he turns towards his friend, who only smiles.

"In. Love."

"Shut up you ass," Klaus remarks, watching her from afar. Her eyes meet his, and before he knows it, she's standing up, heading right over towards him.

"Oh and speaking of the little blonde-"

"Klaus, can we talk? Alone..."

Klaus looks at Marcel, and back at her, clearing his throat.

"Of course," he nods, standing and following her outside of the lunch room, turning back to see Marcel snickering to himself making him roll his eyes at his friend's stupidity.

Caroline brings him to her locker, which is one of the only places not crowded with people.

"Hi," Klaus frowns, unsure of how he should greet her.

"You kissed me," Caroline states, as if trying to wrap her head around it all.

"I kissed you," he repeats to himself more then to her.

"So..."

"I don't want this to make things weird, okay? It's fine if you don't share these feelings back-"

"I don't know what I feel. You didn't exactly give me time to process everything before you ran out," she rolls her eyes.

"Sorry about that, I didn't really know what to do if I'm honest. I've never... felt this before, Caroline," he takes her hands in his instinctually.

Her eyes meet his, and she fights the urge to smile at his nervousness around her. It's kinda cute, she admits.

The sound of Kol's voice, however, makes her jump, immediately unlatching their hands.

"What're you two doing?" he asks, eyeing them.

"N-nothing. We were just getting back to lunch. Come on Klaus," she raises her eyebrows at him who nods in response. She grabs his wrist, leading him away from Kol.

"Okay..." she hears Kol mutter from behind her as they head off.

"We can't keep hiding this from everyone. People are going to get suspicious," Klaus states as if it's not obvious from Kol's reaction already.

"You think I don't know that? Klaus, we have to talk somewhere. Not here though."

"Meet me by your locker after school, okay? I know somewhere we can go," he says, eyes focused on hers the whole time.

"Okay. I'll see you later then?"

"Yeah, see you later."

• • •

Hope you all had a good Christmas or whatever you celebrate! What are your plans for New Years? :)

Vote and comment your thoughts!

XoXo