Forgettable

Forgettable: easily forgotten, especially through
being uninteresting or mediocre.

You smiled, awkwardly, as you approached her and as you did so, Riko returned to staring out of her wall made of glass.

Riko's house felt more like a cabin, the floors and walls (excluding the one made entirely of glass) were wood, there were a couple of beams that looked like logs on either side of the room. Between them was a wooden coffee table and and sofa, a wooden one with pillows attached; it didn't look too comfortable but Riko seemed like the type to give up comfort for an aesthetic. You strolled past it as you made your way to glass wall where Riko stood.

It had been the first time you'd seen the view, the view of the forest that surrounded your town. The wooded area that people feared to enter made a sublime view from the height of Riko's house. Suddenly you were glad you'd walked all the way up that hill, you'd never seen the forest from this perspective before. Beneath the tree tops it was always dark and shady, but from up here you could see the light hit the leaves and bounce along the trees as they swayed. To the left, you could see the path used to enter and exit the town, lit by lanterns all the way the to horizon. And to the right there was view of a tiny plot of land where trees hadn't taken over, leaving room for flowers and other flora to sprout in the sunshine.

"The sun sets directly in front of us," Riko noticed your awe, "if you hang around for it, it's even more spectacular."

You almost agreed straight away, but then you remembered your prior commitments, "I wish I could, but I'm meeting Akio later, at sunset..."

Riko perked up in what could of surprise or ambition (ambition to wind you up about it that is), unfortunately it was the latter option. "Oh how romantic! A confession in the orange glow of the drooping sun!"

"Confession?" You picked up the word immediately.

"Oh, oops, I wasn't meant to say that..." she laughed, it clearly wasn't an accident that she'd did though. "But what would you say if he did?"

"Oh God..." you placed your head in your hands embarrassedly, "I'd have to say no! I mean, I don't return his feelings. But I feel so guilty!"

"Oh, he's a man, he can take it!" Riko smirked, something suggested to you that her motives were of the ulterior sort, you glared at her until she explained herself. "Well, there are only two people on team Akio, that's Akira's, obviously 'cos she adores you, and Max because he trusts Akio and something about safety in not dating outside the guild? Dunno, but it gave me cult vibes." She shivered. "But he was thinking of you when he picked a side."

"You guys talk about this!" You shook your head and then you realised. "Wait! Is there another side? What side are you on?!"

"Marie and I are on Team Rogue!" She was proud of herself, but when she noticed your reaction her expression died. "Hear me out! Marie said something about love at first sight, this was before you told her about your mission to kill him by the way, and she thought it was well cute that he came looking for you the other day!"

"No that's weird, my magics meant to kill him! How can you be on team Rogue! You knew all along!" You felt your cheeks becoming ridiculously red.

"Yeah, but wouldn't it be so romantic, putting that behind you and eventually falling in love with each other! Besides, I knew you were never going to kill him anyway let's be honest-"

You felt like hitting her, but her words reminded you of why you were here in the first place. Bringing back the memory of what Itzal had warned you off back in the games.

"It's not personal, but he feels like you're not going to do your job properly."

"Don't you mean we?" You corrected her.

"Huh?"

"You said, I knew you were never going to kill him, but don't you mean: we knew you were never going to kill him." You felt the tension in the room become serious in that moment, Riko's expression changed from a smirky grin to one of her sad smiles.

"So you worked that out?" She glanced at her feet.

You nodded, "well, I didn't think about it at all, not until recently, but in your room back at Yuuki's cottage, there were bunk beds, odd for one person. And once I remembered that, everything fell into place." You prepared yourself to start your end-of-story detective like rant, you took a deep breath. "The other person, who must of been there too, said some strange things during the games, first he told me about his magic, he could control only three people at a time and he was saving a place for me. The other two people he controlled, were Jasmine, and... you, right? We saw it, during your fight with him, in the doubles round with Marie, he used you to protect himself."

She nodded, knowing you had more to say she didn't elaborate on this.

"He also, right before he got knocked out on the final day, he tried to possess me too, he told me it was because he feels like your not doing your job properly..."

She nodded, now you waited for her explanation for this.

"Yeah, your right... Itzal was also with us back then, when Yuuki taught you that magic..." she didn't seem too devastated that the secret was out.

"Does that mean... does that mean you're  in contact with Yuuki!" You almost shouted, and went out of your way to try keep your attitude cool. But the 'he' Itzal had referred to, could be no one else but your brother, and your 'job' could be nothing else but killing Rogue. And if you were right, if Riko was in contact with your brother, you were going to be very mad.

Yet, she shook her head. "I'm not, Itzal on the other hand I'm not sure, we've been apart a long time..." she looked at you. "And as far as Yuuki knows, I don't remember a thing about you, Itzal or himself..."

She sighed, laughed through her breath, "he's doesn't like to act like it, but he's the one who saved me. He was the one, who got me these glasses for starters..."

She stayed quiet for awhile, making you impatient.

"Don't you think this view is...." she shut her eyes as she spoke, contradicting the pattern of her words. "Unforgettable?"

"Riko-"

"I'll tell you the whole truth then, and how I ended up here."

------------

Merry Christmas! Happy holidays! My late present to you guys is an update!

Also can you believe it's almost been 4 years since I started writing this? Is anyone who read this when it first came out still around? 😂 I might be dead by the time I finish this. One chapter a month is a bit slow tbh.

Also, it might be fun for you guys to know next school year I'm going to be studying creative writing at Uni! Ive had all five of my offers from university's back so that's definitely happening! I think that might reassure you guys in terms of the fact I'm serious about writing, even this story despite it technically being a Fanfiction.

And finally, my sleeping schedule is fucked (which is what happened when you get too drunk on Boxing Day) I'm going to try stay up late tonight and get up early tomorrow so I can get it back, so I might be able to get another update done tonight, no promises though.