Diffusion

Diffusion: the spreading of something more widely.
or
the action of spreading the light from a light source evenly
to reduce glare and harsh shadows.

Half eleven, you sat in the guild as normal, in your normal clothes, hair style, everything normal. You perhaps didn't realise how special the occasion today was to another in your guild.

"Yo, (L/n)." Max called from his office, wanting your attention. He'd always referred to you by your last name when you were young, him doing the same now meant progress in your relationship. "Can I borrow you please."

You got up, and approached the office at the end of the guild hall and opened the door. Max was leaning against his desk, casually waiting, rather than sitting behind it. His threatening authority was faded when he wasn't sitting down. He also, didn't look so mean when you entered, he gave a half smile.

You gave him a questioning look, pretty much asking him what he wanted.

"I've been thinking," he started, his tone a little awkward at first, there was a little shame in his voice as if he'd lost a battle of some kind, but he got over it the more he spoke. "You never really explained your magic and the whole future Rogue thing, before I never gave you much of an opportunity. So I thought, if you want, when your ready we could sit down and talk about it properly, with Marie maybe."

Despite, a hint of feeling tense, Max still held his mature guild master aura. It was a clear indication he was ready to put behind our stupid arguments from the past. You were more than happy with that.

"Sure," you nodded, "but not today though, I'm going with Akio and Akira to some ice cream place."

"Oh, right, your date, I forgot about that."

"My what now?"

Max tilted his head confusedly, until he realised. He didn't pursue it, the fact you weren't aware of a certain someone's feelings. "Whatever, doesn't matter. Just whenever your ready come talk to me."

"Thanks, I appreciate it." You smiled, genuinely at him.

You wanted to leave, but you felt like something was missing on your way to the exit. You couldn't help it, you were half way out the door before you spun round and wrapped your arms around your former friend.

"Sorry... again."you spoke pretty much into his shoulder. The action felt fitting, and long overdue. Years of running away after a horrid argument, and even more when you came back. You could feel left over tensions diffuse into the air, as eventually he wrapped his arm around you in return. It was a warm feeling, a feeling of a heavy weight lifting from your shoulder, along with the happy tingling in your chest and swirl in your stomach. Things were, to the impossible extent, back to normal.

"Geez," he eventually said when you finally letting go, he rubbed his forehead in a gesture of fake concern or maybe disappointment, but you could see behind his hand he was smiling. "It's fine hugging me, but you've got to be careful."

"What do you mean?" You asked, taking a healthy step backwards in the process.

"Well, if you go round treat other men the same way you treat Marie and I, it might seem like, you know, you have other intentions." 

You waited for him to continue.

"You don't intentionally lead anyone on, I know that, and it's okay to be kind, but, you've got to make sure you make your feelings clear or it will be awkward between the both of you forever."

"Wait who-?"

"You're a pretty girl (y/n), you could have any guy you want fall for you." He cut you off, "Not just him, be careful with that Rogue guy too, he seemed more than interested in you-"

"Rogue! No." She shook your head dramatically, letting strands of hair fall in front of your face to hide your cheeks. "It's not like that with Rogue- it's..."

"Something you'll have to explain with the rest of it?" Max finished your sentence, causing you to nod. He had it right. Plus, it brought the subject right back to the original conversation topic, leaving every else forgotten about (not that you know who Max was referring to) and in the past. "Well, don't leave Akio and Akira waiting, I'll see you later."

You said your goodbyes to Max and went back into the main section of the guild. Which seemed to have filled with people as a result of the lunch time rush. Despite this you managed to spot Akio and Akira at one of the tables and waved.

There was a hesitation in your approach, just for a moment, but you moved other to them wondering what was wrong with you.

Freud calls it repression.

---------

I keep doing this thing where I say they'll be more frequent updates and then that doesn't happen. Turns out year 13 isn't fun and is very busy. So I'm not going to say that again.

Also, another apology cos I ended up prioritising unpublished stories, because for some reason I feel the need to have completed some novel by the time I finish school? Not really sure where that's come from tbh.

Also because this is short, I'm just updating to get an update out at this point. But shorter chapter mean more updates (sort of).

Anyway I'm going to get on the next chapter straight away! But I thought I'd update this just in case it didn't get finished anytime soon. But I think I'm getting better, there's only been a month between the last three chapters.

But thanks for putting up with me! I really appreciate all of you, honestly I feel so blessed when I get comments from you guys. Even I don't end up replying (usually cos I'm socially awkward or don't see it cos Wattpad absolutely SUCK at notifications) I still really appreciate it!!

Thankyou!!!