11. The Way It Is

(Zayn's POV)

(Zayn's POV)

She's already trying too hard. Her hair is all done up and she wears a preppy outfit. I understand it's our first time meeting but she's already adjusting her sweater and fixing her hair. There's no need to impress me, we aren't going to be friends.

"Isabelle, this is Zayn, Zayn, this is Isabelle." Her all-too-excited mother introduces us.

Then she gives me a squeaky greeting to which I don't really reply. I don't really know how to. Honestly, it isn't that nice to meet her because I'd much rather be at home with my girlfriend who is beginning to hate me.

Then, her mother leaves and I'm left alone with her in this small hotel room.

Her eyes are wide and pleading as they look at me. I can already hear her whiny voice trying to engage me in a conversation. So, I set things straight. I'm not going to tell her my life story or about my girlfriend but I need to stop her from trying so hard to gain my affection because it just isn't going to happen.

"If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer we just kept it as plain as possible."

"Yeah... that's perfect."

I can tell that it's clearly not as she slumps back onto the bed.

Then I get a text from Alissa.

A: did you meet her yet?

Z: yep. shes all done up sitting here wanting to be friends

A: you aren't actually going to try are you?

Z: of course not! were still together

A: yeah...

Z: what's with the ...

A: i don't know
A: it's just i don't see how this is going to work out in the end. i don't want to sit here waiting around while youre getting married to some other girl. think about how that looks for me

Z: it's not that long and we already discussed this. two months and then im were back on track

A: i think it will be longer than that

Z: why are we fighting about this? i thought we agreed to work through this

Then I heard her voice again and look up to see her prying eyes looking to my phone.

"Who are you talking to?"

"No one that you'd know!"

I can't deal with her right now, not on top of Alissa. It's her fault that Alissa and I are in this fight right now.

A: anyway i gtg to work.

Z: okay love you, have a good day
Read

I hear our mother's come back and I stand up quickly, ready to leave.

Then my phone buzzed and I quickly pulled it out, hoping Alissa had texted me back. But low and behold, she had just tweeted about something.

"It's no trouble." I hear my mom say before I feel a blow to the side of my shin. I glare at her to see that she's glaring back.

"Yeah... no problem."

Then my mother pulls me along down the hallway.

"Zayn Malik! Tell me you weren't on your phone that whole time!" My mother scolds me.

She acts as if I'm still a little kid.

"Alissa's mad at me again!"

"You are here to meet and get to know Isabelle, not try to get Alissa back!"

"I had her back, Mum, and now all of that is ruined because of her!"

"Zayn... you can't blame her for your relationship issues. I know this isn't easy on you but you promised you would do this for her and you need to go through with it."

"Maybe I don't want to get to know her!"

"Well, that's what you said you would do!"

"I said I'd help her, that's that! It's an exchange not a relationship!"

"I think you'd really like her if you just gave her a chance..."

I take in a deep breath, trying to not get angry with my mum.

"Things we're finally getting better with Alissa and this has just ruined it. I don't think I can be friends with her knowing she ruined what Alissa and I had."

"You and Alissa have always had your problems! She cheated on you, Zayn! I'm sorry if that's hard for you to hear but that's what happened and I'm sorry for saying this but she does not deserve a gentleman like you."

"It was a kiss and she was drunk!"

"It was with your best friend. Don't act like it didn't hurt you."

"I'm fine, Mum. I don't need you telling me this."

"You were such a good boy, Zayn... you used to be so kind and caring and you used to smile all the time. After everything ended with Alissa you've been bitter and angry at the world. She's one girl and there are better ones out there."

"What do you want me to do?"

"I want you to do as you said you would. I want you to go and give her a chance, even if you have to fake it. Lie to her and tell her it was nice to see her, it'll be the nicest way a man has treated her in a long time."

I sighed once again. I really have to do this.

"Fine... I'll do it."

"That's my boy, Zayn."