10. Chances and Change

(Isabelle's POV)

(Isabelle's POV)

We sit silent in the hotel room while Zayn sits on his phone clearly texting someone. His face is heated as if he's fighting someone.

"Who are you talking to?" I ask.

He snaps up from his phone. "Someone you wouldn't know."

I sat back on the end of the bed and sighed. All I wanted was to get to know him and he's being so closed off. Why?

Our mother's arrived back after an hour of painful silence.

"Hey Isabelle, how did it go?" My mother comes in kissing my head.

It's clear that Zayn and I haven't made much progress since he's still on his phone and we're sitting across the room from each other.

"It went fine." I put on a fake smile to humour her.

"Good... that's good." She says although I know she doesn't believe me.

He barely acknowledges me even now after I've covered for him which, in turn, just reveals the truth. His mother doesn't look very impressed but she gives me a sympathetic smile as she leads Zayn to the door.

"Thank you for meeting with us... we really appreciate this." my mom says.

"It's no trouble." Zayn's mom says before kicking his leg to get him to look up.

He snaps up with a dirty look before saying, "Yeah... no problem."

Then they leave and I can already hear his Mom scolding him once the door is shut.

I toss my head back and head to the bathroom to take out my earrings and rough up my hair.

"Isabelle... I'm sorry... he told his mother he would do it but it can't be easy for him..."

"I know Mother... it's fine. I'm sure I can stay at home and maybe we can get that system you were talking about..."

"No Hun... you deserve a new start. You shouldn't be in fear every time you leave the house."

"Well Mom, I am! And it's not going to change when I move over here I can guarantee it! I'll still be on my own but just in a different country without you or Dad! This was just a bad idea..."

I snapped and I feel bad but I'm just so frustrated. I was really hoping this would work out.

"I'm sorry... I don't mean to yell... I'm just frustrated."

She gives me a sympathetic smile. Then, there was a knock at the door interrupting us. My mother left to go answer it.

"Isabelle..." she called to me.

I go to the door. Zayn stood outside of the door with his hands in his jacket pockets.

"Hi..." I say, causing my mother to give us some space.

"Hi... I'm sorry for the way I acted... I know that it's not fair to just brush you off." He speaks as if he has a gun held to his head. "I'd like to go for that coffee... if you still want to."

I probably look like an idiot. My mouth is open slightly from confusion and my hair is roughed up and my earrings are out.

"Um... yeah, I'd like that. Just a minute."

He nodded and I left him at the door while I ran back to the bathroom to put in my hoops and fix my hair a bit before rushing back towards the door.

My mother's eyes went wide and I waved to her.

"Bye Isabelle, be safe."

"See you, love you." I called back to her while I left with Zayn.

I don't know what changed his mind but I'm glad he did.