#26 - The Mission

Start from the beginning

The seven demigods turned around to see a mist image of Chiron, Camp Half-Blood's trainer, waving at them.

He was shaking his head in amusement. "Don't tell me this is how you spend your lives now that your demigod days are over."

"We're responsible adults," Leo promised, brushing water from his face. "We have jobs, we pay taxes, and most of us are married. That's all the criteria of being adults."

Annabeth snorted. "But not for being responsible."

"I have a garage!" Leo protested.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "And who's managing it on a Saturday night of peak business?"

"Calypso," Leo mumbled.

Chiron cleared his throat. "Right. While it is always a pleasure to see you–"

"We've always been your favourites," Percy said with a wink.

"–I'm not calling merely to catch up," Chiron continued, though he hid a smile at Percy's comment. "There's a problem in Manhattan and you are the closest demigods to it."

"A problem like there's a new demigod?" Hazel asked curiously.

"A problem like a gang of monsters are terrorising mortals," Chiron corrected.

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows. "What?"

Chiron sighed. "It really is a pain. They're a monster organisation trying to start another war with the demigods like the first Titan War. Their motivational speaker must be very good because they've recruited over half the monsters in Manhattan and are destroying buildings around the Empire State Building. We are trying to get backup to you as quickly as possible, but it will take a while, so we need you to hold the monsters there."

The demigods exchanged wary looks.

"I apologise for having to call you in from your peaceful lives," Chiron said apologetically. "But we really are in need of help. I suppose you aren't too rusty..." Chiron trailed off uncertainly.

"Hellhounds attacked Annabeth and I last night," Percy said, unfazed.

"Piper, Leo and I on Tuesday," Jason informed him.

"Broke into our apartment last weekend," Hazel added.

Chiron shook his head with a chuckle. "Then I shouldn't be worried."

"We'll do our best," Annabeth promised him as the Iris message slowly faded away.

Leo glanced at the others. "I haven't fought in a proper battle since Gaia, I think. Just small monster attacks."

"I helped train some campers a few months ago," Percy said. "But I doubt I'm as good as I used to be."

Piper shrugged. "Annabeth, Hazel and I spar every weekend. We're still in pretty good shape."

Jason sighed and struggled to his feet. "Gear up. We're going monster hunting."

<<< >>>

Since no one wanted their cars to be damaged,  they took the metro to the Empire State Building. It was funny; seven nervous demigods with deadly weapons in Annabeth's tiny grey backpack.

As they got off at Madison Avenue, the city seemed perfectly fine. Citizens walked the streets, on phones or chatting to one another.

But as they walked closer to the Empire State Building, the threat seemed to become more real.