Chapter 42

Hayley's POV:

My heart still races, merely pounding out of my chest. I stand stiffly in the same spot - the spot Damon stopped me from jumping in and saving Rebekah from Rose's strength; the spot where I watched Damon nearly die.

I look over to see tense Elijah stood firmly beside me. "It's about time you showed up." I say lowly, his brown eyes meet mine.

He doesn't respond, and instead focuses on the sickening laugh blowing from Rose's red lips. I remember the words that Rose just announced;

Now. Everyone's here. Shall we get to my favorite part?

Her voice was laced with pleasure and excitement.

I turn to watch Rose and she stands in between Damon and Rebekah - the two of them now on their feet. The blonde Mikaelson instantly grabs Damon impossibly fast and when I blink, they're now next to me and Elijah.

"Stop this." Elijah speaks.

Rose rolls her bright green eyes that twirl with cruelty and immorality. "No." She whispers merely, staring into Elijah's eyes from afar. The flickering light from the light pole in the dark alley reflects on her pale face.

"You know, you claim yourself to nobility, Elijah. But you've killed the innocent, you've torn people apart..." She claims deadly. "You might even in fact be worse than your brother. Klaus, is it?" She giggles, "I wonder how he's doing..."

I grunt and step toward her, but before anyone else can - I stop myself. And I don't know why. Her smile beams devilishly under the light.

"What are you?" Damon spits.

Rose's eyes linger on Damon's own a moment without an answer, than onto Rebekah's.

"I'll save that answer for later." Rose answers smoothly. My brows furrow.

Good question; what is she? I think back at what occurred just moments before - her attempt of pulling Damon's strong hold of her neck accomplished without any sign of struggle. She has power, she's beyond strengthened.

"You said it's time for your 'favorite part'..." I begin, watching her carefully as the next words flow from my mouth. "What did you mean by that?"

Her red stained lips curve into a grin. "The big announcement!" She clasps her hands together while all of us watch her stand feet away.

"As the messenger clearly informed you, hence Camille, you have something I want." Her eyes flash with desire - darting at me.

I let out a soft humorless laugh. "You want my heart?" She nods when I knew the answer. "You're not getting it. How did you come along and demand for a part of me?! Before I start a bloodbath, you should leave." I warn.

Her arched brow cocks. The sound of her heels echoing in the valley as she steps closer. She shrugs carelessly. "Sure, Hayley. Put on a show; I'd love to see you give it your best shot as you carry your unborn child." She tests.

I stare at her her without a blink, my brows raised.

"I wouldn't test me." I declare.

"I can test you tonight, get your blood boiling. But I don't think you'd want to actually touch me." Her gaze passes between the four of us. "You four alone have nothing on me. I wouldn't, if I were you..." Her laugh, profoundly immoral, echoes in the thick air.

I watch her with distaste. I want to ask her why are her intentions for having my heart set so high and why she wants it, but the answer I'm dying to know is right at the tip of my tongue - that is before my question is already brought up in a way.

"Maybe if we knew what we were up against..." Rebekah trails, her blue eyes glinting with distrust.

"Fair reasoning." Rose breathes. "I'm a vampire." She says. But a tricky look lurks upon her pale face.

Damon's light blue eyes narrow.

"Annnd a witch," She adds teasingly. "And to you're near death experience, Damon, very powerful, might I add."

"A hybrid. A witch and a vampire." I whisper, my gaze targeting Rose. "You're fooled if you think I can't kill you." My voice raises.

In turn she beams a malevolent smile. "It'll be quite the challenge..."

The four of us; Elijah, Rebekah, Damon and I stand next to one another, watching Rose carefully with distaste.

"About a month ago I teamed up with some witches, and together we learned it is possible to bring back the dead. I can bring back whoever I chose as long as their on the Other Side. But I can't place them back until I have the power to do so. I will only contain that power when I have the valuable heart of a special hybrid, as well as having the strength of an Upgrade."

I think back at when Camille first informed us of Rose, and how Rose claimed her desire to be an Upgrade. Now I know why.

"So say, if I happen to bring back someone just chilling, cold hearted... would you risk your life for the lives of others?" Rose continues bitterly.

I blink repeatedly, trying to process it all and put together pieces that I'm not even sure have been dropped.

She's using the dead as bait to get what she wants. She's using them to get my heart. Without my heart, whoever Rose brings back will stay. Forever.

---

Does everybody understand why Rose is supposedly bringing back the dead and how exactly she's using them as bait to get Hayley's heart?

I just want to make sure you understood this chapter, I know it was quite confusing.

Anywho, who do you think is gonna make a special appearance, from the dead, perhaps?

VOTE, please!

xx