Chapter 20

Hayley's POV:

"Will you be alright?" Elijah looks at me with concern as he stands in the doorway to outside, his jacket in his hand.

I nod reassuringly, "I'll be fine, Elijah." I send him a grateful smile.

"Are you sure, love?" Rebekah cuts in, walking past me to leave the house.

They're continuing their hunt today. Unfortunately, without me. Jackson is on his way here but the two refuse to leave until he shows up.

Another thing- I don't know when they'll be back. It's not like they're living out there now, but they will be gone for several hours. A day or two possibly.

"Positive," I play a small smile to reassure them. "Am I a kid now?" I arch an eyebrow and Rebekah grins.

"No, Hayley. But in order for your kid to stay healthy, I say stay and have fun. Get to know Jackson more, have... conversation," She adds and I stare blankly at her.

She hushes me before I can open my mouth to speak, I playfully roll my brown-green eyes.

Suddenly, we hear an engine approach the driveway.

"That must be him," I state and Elijah nods looking over his shoulder outside.

The blonde Mikaelson approaches me for a warm hug. "We love you, Hayley. Give us a call, don't be a stranger."

"Never." I respond, then cough on air once I realized what I said.

"For being a stranger, not the calling part." I explain and she laughs. "But I love you both too."

Rebekah returns to the front door next to her brother.

Elijah reaches to shake someone's hand in the doorway, and Jackson comes into view.

His tall figure enters the Mikaelson home, his brown eyes meet with mine.

He doesn't get to speak to me because Rebekah pushes Elijah out of the front door and yells goodbye before shutting the front door.

Now, only Jackson and I stand in the den, staring at one another.

"Hey," He begins, standing a few feet in front of me.

"Hey." I greet him quietly.

He bites down on his lip,
"How are you, Hayley?"

"I've been better." I give him a once over as he watches me.

I'm not in the mood for this- company, conversation. I just want sleep.

"You?"

I watch him grin, "I'm great." And I can believe him; he actually seems great, happy even.

His dark brown eyes scan around the room.

"What do you want to do?"

I shrug my shoulders, "I'm going up to my room." I gesture towards the stairs, already making my way there.

Before I can make it up the stairs, his deep voice sounds from behind me. "You're leaving me?"

I turn to face him, my brows raised. "Yep." I confirm, popping out the 'p'.

I watch him shrug, "I'll show myself around the house." He purses his lips before turning around on his heels, beginning to slowly walk away.