Chapter 28: The Evil Within

(Y/n)'s perspective;
We came to a hole in the wall of the tower. It looked like a bottomless pit on the other side, guess this is it. Ariel tied a red rope on the pillar in front of us before kicking the rope down.

Ariel: This is it.

Patty: ...Ok.

Ash: Everyone stay sharp... even you (Y/n).

To be honest, I wasn't paying attention. I was to busy trying to get some black goo off my boot. Guess I'm gonna need some more clothes...

Ash: (Y/n).

(Y/n): Yeah! I'm listening.

Ash: A formidable foe awaits.

Patty: Do you know what happens next? Can you share with the rest of the class?

Ash: No. I told you, no spoilers.

Ariel looked slightly confused but her expression quickly changed back to emotionless. I wonder what her deal is...

I know she lost her father but... I don't know. She looks dead inside, kinda reminds me of my sist- never mind...

(Y/n): Ladies first.

Pat Pat scoffed before descending down the rope first. Ash was next. Ariel seemed to just stare at me like she was expecting something.

(Y/n): What? Waiting for a kiss of luck?

I swear I caught her blushing but she shoved me down the pit before I could be totally sure.

Ariel was last down the rope. We seemed to be in some kind of chamber.

A gargoyle stood watch in front of a pretty enough alter

A gargoyle stood watch in front of a pretty enough alter. As we stepped closer it's head shifted in our direction. A hoarse voice seemed to originate from within. It spoke softly but firm.

Gargoyle: I am greater than God, more evil than the devil, the poor have me, the rich don't, and if you eat me, you'll die. What am I...?

Patty: What?

I quickly shushed Pat Pat. I knew this. It was a riddle, how unoriginal.

...Greater than the God humans mindlessly worship. More evil than the poster child of Hell...

I GOT IT!

(Y/n): Nothing.

Patty: Huh?

This time Ash was the one to hush Patty as we awaited a response from the stone being.

Gargoyle: Of course...

There was an immediate silence that befell the room. A couple of minutes went by before the sound of a mechanism turning sounded off somewhere around us.

It spoke again.

Gargoyle: The person who buys me doesn't need me, the person who makes me doesn't want me, and the person who uses me can't appreciate me. What am I...?