She drew close enough that I could see details. I recognized her immediately.

Her lip curled into a snarl. "You."

Twenty-one charged at me, gripping my collar. She yanked me toward her so we were nose to nose. Her voice was rough, growling. "How'd you know about the fire?"

I stuttered, "W – what?"

Her glare narrowed, became more forceful. "The fire. How'd you know it wouldn't burn us as long as we didn't let it?"

My heart in my throat, I pawed at her hands at my collar. "I met a pyrokinetic."

Scoffing, she shoved me away, knocking me to the ground.

My voice rose in volume. "He told me the fire's well-behaved. I just took a chance in hoping he was right about this fire too."

I only just noticed the flameless circle that had formed around us, as though the fire had pushed away to make room for us.

Twenty-one looked ready to spit at me from where I sat on the burnt soil. "Liar."

"You think it's impossible to meet a pyrokinetic here? Look around us, twenty-one!" I gestured to the blaze encircling us. "Everything here is impossible!"

Rolling her shoulders back, she pursed her lips. "I know you have everyone here fooled. But not me. I know exactly what you're doing, twelve."

The amount of malice snarled into my number cut like a blade, causing me to wince. She made my number sound like my name, and I despised it.

"You're cheating."

I pressed my lips together, eyebrows furrowing. "Last I recall, cheating isn't against the rules."

Before I could struggle to my feet, a hard blow to my stomach threw me back onto the ground. I groaned, holding my stomach, and then I let out a shaky breath. I curled around myself, squeezing my eyes shut.

"There are no rules against that, either." The sound of her footsteps disappeared, replaced by the crackle of the fire.

I lay there, balled in the fetal position, as I waited for the sharp pains to dull. I knew, with ice-cold certainty, that the longer I stayed here, the more likely I'd come in last — and I'd be eliminated.

Twangs still tightening my stomach, I forced myself to my feet. With a huff, I brushed away the few tears that had fallen.

To my surprise, when the flames closed around me, they pointed me in the right direction again. I breathed my thanks and followed the flow of the fire.

Why was twenty-one against me? Was it because she thought I was cheating? But it had to be more than that. After all, cheating was allowed in this competition. So what had caused her personal vendetta against me?

As I fell into the steady rhythm of right-foot left-foot, I recalled her attitude toward me back at the castle, when I had correctly guessed the King and the Prince. Could it be that she thought I was put into these trials to rig them against everyone, dooming them to lose?

I shook my head, trying to ignore the sweat that rolled down my neck and gathered in my armpits. My stomach panged every once in a while, slowing my steps.

I wasn't a false player. I was fighting to win, just like everyone else here. No matter what twenty-one thought of me, I would make it to the end. But something told me she would make these trials even more difficult for me.

Panting, my body started to ache. My eyes hurt from the intense glare of the fire. My mouth had gone dry a while ago, but now my throat stung. I was thirsty and hot and exhausted — and I wasn't anywhere near the end yet.

To protect my eyes for just a moment, I squeezed them shut. They burned and scratched, hot tears rolling down my cheeks. My steps slowed, just in case I got off-track.

I opened my eyes again, blinking against the assault of bright light. I straightened back out, following the flames. Despite the protests of my body, I thrust into a sprint.

Between the shafts of fire, I thought I could make out a dark figure. But I blinked and it disappeared, so it must have been my eyes playing tricks on me.

My foot caught on something, throwing me forward. I fell hard on my knees, rolling to a stop on the ground. A groan escaped my mouth.

"I'm so sorry!"

I squinted at the thing that had tripped me: another girl crouched on the torched soil, face stained with mascara tracks and mud.

"I got lost and I can't see in here." Her voice quivered like her bottom lip.

"No harm—" I pulled in a sharp breath as I sat up—"no foul."

My knees were scraped and bleeding, and my twisted knee protested any movement.

She cried, the tears steaming as they dripped off her chin.

With a pout, I reached out and patted her leg. "It'll be alright. Just keep fighting, keep going."

She scoffed and, through her tears, clipped, "This isn't some inspirational movie. This is hell, and I just want it to end."

"Don't say that." The thought of elimination was fresh in my mind. "If you stop here, you may never be able to get back home, see your family." My throat closed on the last word.

She continued to cry but she nodded. Afraid of losing too much more time, I ruffled her hair in reassurance and struggled to my feet to continue on.

Now my knees throbbed, and my speed was slowed by the limp in my steps. I clenched my teeth, grinding through all the aches and stings and burns. I couldn't stop despite my growing thirst and pleading lungs.

One second I was surrounded by the orange, yellow, and red of the flames — the next, I saw gold and silver skies, green grass and plants, and hazy mountains in the distance.

My mouth went slack and my eyes shut as I collapsed onto the soft grass. I never thought I would be so happy to be among the vegetation again. A smile pulled at my lips as I sank farther into the ground, curling about myself.

There was no else around, but that didn't mean much. The only thing that mattered to me at that moment was I had made it. I had survived another trial.

I relished in the feeling for a bit.

And then a shadow darkened the light behind my eyelids and announced, "Congratulations. You completed this round first. Would you like to collect your rewards?"