Chapter 51: Grateful

"That was hard to sit through," Ferox said with a sigh after she and Free exited the meeting with Theodore Glass and his assistant. The meeting had been logistics about requesting the team transfer, information about the current team members, and the perks and privileges of being on the Raging Bulls. It left Ferox increasingly miserable, and Theodore's slimy qualities made her pity Shu and Bilizu. She would miss Christina and Trad.

Zmaj remarked, licking her jaw, He's full of avarice, Ferox.

This is a load of shit. I'm having second thoughts, Fafnir said bluntly. Speechless, Zmaj stared at the lazy golden dragon; she had never heard her fellow Bey spirit speak so crudely before.

"He's something, alright," Free said, threading his fingers through his hair. He inquired tentatively, "Are you already regretting our decision?"

"Of course, I am," Ferox admitted. She was juggling her duties as a daughter, a sister, a girlfriend, and a co-captain all at once, and she could not do them all perfectly. "But decisions have to be made. What about you?"

"No regrets," Free said with a small smile.

Ferox found her lips upturning. "You're really sure of this, aren't you?" Ferox said softly.

"I am," Free said, kissing her on the forehead. "I love BC Sol, so I must let it go."

"Yeah..." Ferox trailed off, blinking slowly. Her guilt felt strange. It was an obvious moral decision that she had to leave and save her father, but she had not completely processed that he was alive; it did not feel real after living for seven years without him. On the other hand, Ferox had grown attached to BC Sol, and people there needed her and felt more tangible than her dad. Valt was also a ball of lovable energy she could not live without.

"We were never able to finish our conversation earlier," Free said. His dark brown eyes observed Ferox intently as he inquired, "Your decision wasn't because you agreed with me, was it? It was due to something else. Related to that phone call."

Ferox sighed and chewed her lip. She had never been so desperate to divulge her family business. It was a long overdue conversation since Free might be targeted due to their close association, but she worried about what it would mean if he knew her full identity. He might see her differently, yet she trusted him all the same.

"You're right," she said, looking deep into his eyes. "I don't want to leave BC Sol."

"Does it have to do with the phone call from earlier?" Free said, his heart compressing.

"It does," Ferox admitted. "I discovered my dad is alive, and I must travel to New York to help save him. It'll take some time, so I was advised to transfer teams."

"Your dad is alive?" Free said with a raised eyebrow. He had no idea how that was possible, and judging from Ferox's pensive expression, she also had many questions. Free felt pained for his girlfriend, remembering how she cried about her parents. "How did he...?"

"I'm not sure," Ferox said, touching her face self-consciously. Her boyfriend needed to know everything happening, so she had to get straight to the point. She said, "But things will get more dangerous, Free. Because I'm the daughter of Gingka and Madoka Hagane."

Oh shit, Zmaj said, and Fafnir awakened from his semi-nap.

Free's eyes widened.

Everyone knew the Legendary Bladers. They were an internationally famous group of bladers from the metal generation, and led by the most famous blader in history, Gingka Hagane, they had defeated Nemesis, the God of Destruction, and later his deranged follower Ashtem. The tragedy following the King incident, the rooftop hero girl, and the Hagane family murders was well-known. Yet, Ryo, the former WBBA director, had erased personally identifying information about his surviving granddaughter to protect her.