Chapter 5: Aloof

"Challenge accepted," Valt returned evenly. Although Ferox was a formidable opponent, Valt was determined to prove himself and beat her.

Ferox's eyes narrowed. Valt and her were now the last bladers standing in the tryouts, and it hit her that only one could walk out the victor. Ferox had a bad feeling that the tryouts generally admitted one blader at a time, but it was possible that Christina and Trad would make an exception due to the unusual circumstances.

Besides, the whole point that Valt and Ferox chose BC Sol was to avoid separation. If BC Sol tried to deny either Valt or her entry, Ferox would convince Valt to abandon ship or threaten not to join the team unless it took them both. Her adoptive mother had tasked Ferox with looking after Valt, and Ferox did not intend to shirk her responsibility.

"First battle!" the referee called. "Ready, set."

"Three, two, one," Ferox articulated before executing DMeteor Launch. "Let it, rip!"

Valtryek had a rough start as it scraped against the stadium walls, while Zmaj gained speed and cascaded toward the wobbling Beyblade. Clenching his jaw, Valt hollered, "Go Valtryek!" His Beyblade knocked against the wall before suddenly speeding up. "Spring Attack!"

"It's about time that it decided to pick up the pace! This will be awesome!" Kitt squealed, his eyes darting between Ferox and Valt.

"We'll see what happens," Rantaro said, pulling out another lollipop and setting it in his mouth.

Trad said, surprised, "It sped up when it hit the side of the stadium."

"Let's go, Tala Zmaj!" Ferox called out. Zmaj collided with Valtryek, but just as Zmaj's blades outstretched, Valtryek's wings unexpectedly flared out.

Not so fast! Valtryek cried out, and he lashed at Zmaj with his jagged sword.

Both Beyblades burst, and the pieces flew out of the stadium.

What the hell just happened? Zmaj said, stunned.

"Simultaneous burst finish. No points!" the referee said. "Second battle."

Ferox smiled a little. "Just when I thought I'd seen it all," Ferox said. She had not miscalculated her launch, but Valtryek was erratic and unsteady; as a result, she had not accounted for the possibility of Valtryek using its blades to counterattack.

As Ferox leaned down to pick up her Beyblade and piece it back together, Valt shrieked and jumped up and down. He said, "No way, I actually tied with Ferox!"

"Is it too late to tell you 'I told you so' about Valt?" Christina said with a cheeky smile.

"He isn't too bad," Trad conceded. "I wasn't expecting him to break Ferox's winning streak."

Zmaj roared, lashing her armored tail, We can't let it end this way! I'm the indisputable number one Beyblade. Let's use our new boost and take out Valtryek with a quick burst finish!

I've wanted to test our new boost for a while now, Ferox eagerly agreed. If my calculations are correct, it'll be even more erratic than Haraka Boost.

"That's the only tie that Ferox got today," Kitt said encouragingly. "You're doing great, Valt."

"I still can't believe that he tied her," Rantaro said with amazement.

Dark shadows on her face, Ferox started taking big steps back from the stadium. Her smirk grew larger as Valt's eyes widened; her younger brother realized that Ferox was using a launch he had never seen before. He gritted his teeth and retained his stance.