Chapter 55: Worthy

THREE DAYS LATER...

"I haven't really spoken to Bilizu in years," Ferox admitted as Theodore Glass headed to the restroom, leaving Free and her alone. "After her father died, her mother cut her off from the Legendary Bladers. She didn't want Bilizu to have anything to do with us, so she's been out of the loop. Last time, I bumped into her was when I went with the Beigoma Academy Beyclub to Xander's Dojo."

"Xander Shakadera? He was fourth in the world in the last international ranking," Free said, recalling the tall, muscular redhead. He was a decent blader by Free's standards.

"Not too shabby," Ferox said, the corners of her lips upturning.

"Is Bilizu also strong?" Free asked and crossed his arms.

"She's the Legendary Blader of Mars and battles with Blaze Phoenix, a defense type, but she didn't participate in Japan's national tournament. To be real with you, I'm not sure how she was scouted by the Raging Bulls when she had little public presence," Ferox said thoughtfully. "I didn't battle her at Xander's Dojo, but Shu beat her after a tough battle."

What's so great about that flaming chicken? Zmaj said, rolling her eyes.

"So not as strong as you," Free said bluntly.

Exactly, Zmaj said smugly. I'm the best, right Fafnir?

If you say so, dear dragoness, Fafnir yawned, rolling on his side. How come you have so much energy when we flew seven hours?

How are you always tired?! You're the laziest stamina type I've ever met, Zmaj woofed.

Ferox was about to say something, but as Theodore slipped back into the main room, she immediately straightened her posture and let her arms fall by her side. She did not like Theodore's slimy face, but it was important to show respect. In the meantime, Free offered Theodore a blank expression, and the golden-haired boy moved toward Ferox.

"Excusing that interruption, welcome to America. I'm quite pleased with the decision you two made. As the owner of the Raging Bulls, I have very high hopes for your performances. Let me know if you two have any questions," Theodore said, offering a hand.

Free was closer to Theodore, so Ferox expected him to shake his hand. However, her boyfriend instead stared at the man's hand with a deadpan face and pursed lips. Ferox swallowed, uncomfortable but understanding Free's reasons. Wanting to end the awkward silence, she leaned forward and shook Theodore's hand.

Shaking his hand felt like sealing a pact with a demon.

"I would love to see where we are sleeping and the training area," Ferox said politely, and Free's eyes glinted with marginal interest.

"I had a skyrise luxury apartment prepared for you two on the seventy-seventh floor. Two bedrooms; two baths; a great room with a dining table, fireplace, and kitchen. Has the best view in all of New York," Theodore explained, and Ferox slowly nodded, not surprised by the extreme luxury. That was when the man offered a suggestive smirk and said, "I'll turn a blind eye to whether you use one bedroom or two."

Ferox's eyes widened, and Free's mouth fell slightly ajar. The couple furtively glanced at each together, recognizing they had more freedom now and unsure if that was a good thing or not. Christina and Trad would have never told them such a sexual innuendo, and Ferox could not help but feel a shiver run down her spine. She was usually more combative, but something about Theodore threw her off, like maggots were hatching and growing in her body.

"We'll take the apartment, nothing else," Free said.

Theodore nodded, and ignoring Free's hostility, he cleared his throat and said, "I'll show you the training facilities before the apartment. It's within a few floors of us."