Chapter 6: Cruel

"Wa..." Valt trailed off, his jaw dropping open.

Ferox sweat-dropped. Free was just as eccentric as she had expected him to be. She remembered that Free spoke sparingly during televised matches, and when he dangled his championship belt across his body, he would awkwardly scrunch up his shoulders.

"That battle really woke me up. It was truly something," Free said, and he leaned over and took Tala Zmaj without Ferox's permission. Ferox could not tell if Free was complimenting her and Valt or talking down at them, but she hoped that it was the former.

Hell no, Zmaj groaned. You can't be serious.

Is he making fun of us? Valtryek gawked.

Ferox decided to ignore her Beyblade's complaints. Indeed, Zmaj was a dark Beyblade that drew out negative emotions and memories when held by bladers, and Ferox was the only one who could resist the pull. However, its impact would be brief and inconsequential if she ensured that Free did not hold her Beyblade for a long time.

"You surprised?" Valt said, crossing his arms.

"You're lucky to have your Beyblade. It's one hundred percent the only reason you managed to tie with this relatively good Beyblade here," Free said, gesturing to Tala Zmaj.

What? Valtryek protested. Don't make fun of my partner!

Ferox internally cringed. Free probably did not mean for his comment to sound condescending, but it felt off. She considered snapping at Free, but she held back because they would be on the same team soon, and she wanted to have a friendly battle with him.

Regardless, Ferox's Beyblade had a different opinion.

RELATIVELY GOOD?! I AM TALA ZMAJ, YOU YELLOW BASTARD! I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL BEYBLADES! Zmaj howled, burning with wrath. STAY AWAY FROM VALTRYEK! I WILL CRUSH YOU, FREE DE LA HOYA AND YOUR PATHETIC BEY DRAIN FAFNIR!

Your loyalty flatters me, my exquisite dragon, Valtryek said. May we overcome all our opponents!

Fafnir said nothing.

"Say what?" Valt said, putting his hands on his hips.

"You should say thank you. Your Beyblade almost saved you," Free said slyly.

Oh shit, Ferox thought, her eyes narrowing. He's deliberately egging Valt on.

"I helped, too!" Valt huffed, his face reddening.

Ferox was about to say something when Christina offered Ferox a hand. She said warmly, "Congratulations, you have earned yourself a spot on BC Sol."

"I'm tearing up already," Rantaro sighed.

"Wait, they're only picking you?" Valt gasped. "But I also got scouted!"

To Christina's surprise, Ferox refused to shake her hand. She bowed and said carefully, "I'm sorry, but I can't take your offer unless Valt gets a spot on the team. I do not want to disrespect the tryout rules, but I promised our mom that I would look after him. We took BC Sol's offer in the first place because it was the one team that scouted both of us."

Valt dashed in front of Ferox and said, his eyes watering, "It's okay, Ferox! Please don't turn down the team because of me! We came a long way to get here!"

"What he said," Rantaro agreed, putting his hand on Ferox's shoulder. "Valt and I won't be happy if you do that! Especially after we battled you with all our power!"

"We are only admitting one blader," Trad said, shaking his head.

"Hang on a second," Christina said, waving them all silent. She smiled and said, "There's no need for that due to your outstanding performances. The three of you did so well that I want to see what else you all are capable of."