Chapter 13: Deer

EIGHT DAYS LATER...

The more Ferox Aoi thought about Free de la Hoya, the more frustrated she became. She kept thinking about why he had insulted her, but she still could not understand his motivation. Her wounded pride kept growing since she met Free nine days ago, and Ferox wanted to privately challenge Free to a battle and demand him to confess why he had a vendetta against her.

However, since overseeing tryouts, Free was nowhere to be found, and Ferox wondered where Free ate, trained, and slept. Perhaps, Free dozed off during the day and stayed up all night; it would explain his frequent yawning and sluggish movements. As annoyed as Ferox felt, she was slightly concerned that Free sought minimal social interaction as it must be unhealthy.

It was 8 PM, and Ferox had been training for three hours straight. She had skipped dinner, and Valt and Rantaro had joined her for a time before tiring out and leaving to relax in the dorm rooms. They were waiting for Christina and Trad to announce BC Sol's representatives for the match against SunBat United. Ferox expected the owner and Bey trainer to select her since she was the sole blader who was able to stand up against Free.

Ferox yelled, "Let it, rip!"

Tala Zmaj crashed into the stadium, and the Beyblade zipped around violently and uncontrollably. It's a successful Haraka Boost, but we need to try harder if we want to take down Free, Ferox thought. There must be a reason that I lost to him.

We must persist. Crush Drain Fafnir, and soar straight to the top! Tala Zmaj declared, lashing her enormous tail. I also feel something great on the horizon: an evolution.

"Really?" Ferox said with amazement. Tala Zmaj was the first God System Beyblade, so it was tough to wrap her head around the idea of additional technological advancements. What could be better than incorporating gimmicks in Beyblades?

As skeptical as Ferox was, an evolution would mean Zmaj reaching the next level of Beyblade and gaining the power to defeat Free and his Drain Fafnir. Ferox smiled and said, "Cool, it's time to check out the woods, so nobody will catch me conversing with you."

There was much to appreciate in BC Sol's wondrous forest. The shades of fresh, zingy malachite and burnt mahogany married together, and the multifarious tree branches welcomed Ferox with the scent of acorns and pine needles. Fuzzy moss clung to trees with ivy and brambles tangled in the underbrush; the rustling leaves and whistling wind added to the peaceful forest atmosphere.

"What would the next generation of Beyblades even look like?" Ferox said, twirling Zmaj around her fingers. "It's hard to imagine the future. I'm excited, but I feel strangely sad, too."

Because us God System Beyblades were invented by your mother? Zmaj said gently, her red eyes glowing. It's only natural that you feel attached to my current state.

"Yeah," Ferox admitted, her mind dolefully picturing the mother who she had lost. Ferox said thoughtfully, "I'll have to rename you, but it's hard to come up with a new name, Tala Zmaj. It can't get any more literal than 'dragon wolf.'"

You'll know when the time is right, Tala Zmaj replied.

"That's so cliche," Ferox said with a laugh. "You sound just like Shu."

Dammit, Tala Zmaj sniffed. It's the Albino's fault as well as bloody America.

"I wonder how Shu is doing. He's probably baffled by the US's individualistic culture. He's more traditionally Japanese than me," Ferox chuckled and continued walking. As the ground became uneven, Ferox must have appeared awkward as she stumbled and took in the forest's beauty. She eventually made her way into a clearing with soft, fluffy grass tickling her ankles.

Lifting her chin, Ferox gasped, seeing the twilight sky in all its glory. The last vestiges of the setting had disappeared over the horizon, and the copper hues had given away to a vibrant purple, shifting into cold darkness glittered by stars. 

The darkening clouds spilled into the sky like marbles tumbling out of a box and rolling across the ground. A rumbling sound resounded throughout the sky, but there was mainly the loud, pattering rush of wind throughout the trees.

Something about the dimming sky struck as a serene yet sinister warning of impending doom. It took Ferox back to the classroom, where she had interpreted the stormy weather in Lord of the Flies as foreshadowing. The schoolboys trapped on the island would reach their breaking point and descend into uncivilized behavior.

The coming storm carried destructive power waiting to be unleashed. Ferox could picture lightning flashing across the sky and thunder booming and rattling the forest. She envisioned a burning tree, and smoke and fire whipped into the night and set it alight. The unfettered flames devoured hungrily, licking and lapping the forest until the ground was barren.

However, all the destruction, demolition, and devastation started with the creeping storm. The word "storm" rang through her head, and Ferox gasped and visualized a new Beyblade--one which was metallic silver and black with scarlet red highlights and light blue blades. 

Ferox opened her brown eyes, and one briefly shimmered red. Ferox glanced at Tala Zmaj and said, "I have it now! Once you evolve, I'll call you Ekaitza Zmaj! The 'storm dragon'! It'll suit you perfectly. You're as quick and deadly as a storm."

A great name. I fancy it very much. I'll be looking forward to my evolution and my future battle against Free and his Drain Fafnir, Tala Zmaj said boomingly.

Ferox marveled at the forest, but she knew that it was incredibly late. The forest was getting trickier to navigate, so she said, "We should probably head back, Zmaj."

Keep your eyes up, Zmaj said, scolding Ferox for looking down often when she talked to her Beyblade. You'll get lost otherwise.

Ferox nodded, turned around, and almost had a heart attack.

A deer randomly pranced before her. It leaped out of the forest brush faster than a guillotine decapitating an aristocrat in the French Revolution. Ferox could not believe that the deer had not taken cover with the other aristocrats, considering the approaching storm.

Historical allusions spinning her head upside down, Ferox sighed. She was relieved that a bear or wolf had not emerged from the trees, and she remained still and observed the deer. It was a beautiful, caramel-colored creature with soft, big eyes. It was a powerful and docile animal; in mythology, the deer was a sacred messenger of unconditional love.

Shit, that actually scared me! Zmaj said, breaking Ferox out of her thoughts.

"Yeah," Ferox said softly, and the male deer continued staring at her. The animal strangely reminded her of Free de la Hoya with its innocent yet sly expression and the way it tilted its head to the side. Ferox said, mildly amused, "You remind me of Free."

You can't seriously be talking to a deer, Zmaj said jokingly.

"Why not? Most bladers can't talk to their Bey spirits, so speaking to animals isn't a stretch," Ferox muttered before looking back at the deer. She said, "Tala Zmaj and I will beat Free one day."

To Ferox's surprise, the deer took a few steps forward and pushed its muzzle against her hand. It made a cooing sound before dipping its head, prancing away, and disappearing into the mysterious forest. Typical wild animals were not that friendly to humans.

"That was weird. I've never seen a wild animal do that before," Ferox said, turning away and treading through the forest. "Like a sign from God or something."

If you think the deer is the best Beyblade character, please consider giving this chapter a vote and a comment! 

Last Edited: 7/23/2022