Chapter 47: Doubt

"Check out that burst finish! Roktavor is down due to a shaky launch," the commenter said.

Roktavor sighed, It's okay, Rantaro. We'll get through this.

Ferox winced and rubbed the side of her head. She could practically feel the dark cloud hovering over Free, and he grabbed her other hand, squeezing it in the process.

Rantaro shrieked, staring at the broken pieces of his Beyblade, while Rodrick said with a cheeky smile, "Enthusiasm is so overrated."

"That puts them two games to one. BC Sol has given up the lead to Top Wand," the commenter continued. "It's close! Another slip-up from BC Sol could cut this match short."

There won't be another slip-up, Ferox thought.

"You still need to master your new technique. Don't rush," Trad whispered. He then turned to Christina and said, "We can recover. I'm certain of it."

"Sorry," Rantaro said, standing in front of the team with his back hunched. His loss meant that the next blader would be under a lot of pressure to win; he had placed BC Sol in the hot seat.

"It's okay, Honcho," Ferox reassured, while Free's eyes narrowed. "Remember to focus on the match. Big talk doesn't matter unless you win."

"Guess I was too sure of myself," Rantaro said with a sniff.

"It's not so fun when you lose, is it?" Free said caustically.

Ferox shot Free a warning look, and Free ignored it.

"Obviously not!" Rantaro cried out.

"Then start winning," Free said coldly, standing up to his feet.

I second that! Zmaj huffed, while Roktavor dipped his head.

Calm down, Zmaj. We won't succeed if we are in civil war, Valtryek reasoned.

"Let me talk to Free in private for a sec," Ferox said, and she gently tugged Free toward the blue signup pad. It was far enough from Valt and Rantaro to be out of earshot.

"What?" Free said, his gaze unfathomable and lip curled. "Are you mad?"

"No, I'm concerned," Ferox said, wrapping her arms around his neck. Her disarming gesture made Free's shoulders marginally relax. "You're upset because you hoped they would prove that snake from earlier wrong, and now you're doubting yourself."

"Bingo," Free sighed, letting an arm fall around her waist. "Want a prize?"

"Just because Valt and Rantaro lost doesn't mean that Theodore is right. We care about this team, so we'll work through it together," Ferox continued.

"Maybe BC Sol would be better off without us. They would be forced to build themselves back up if we were gone," Free admitted pensively.

What?! Zmaj protested. Roktavor may be a loser, but a wolf never abandons their pack!

Hm, Fafnir said. I wish to move as little as possible, so I don't want to leave BC Sol.

"Free..." Ferox said, her eyes widening. "We don't know that for sure, and I can't leave my younger brother like that. I love Valt, and I believe in him and this team."

"Just think about it, mi hermosa novia," Free said softly.

Ferox's eyebrows creased. She wanted to be angry, but she understood where he was coming from. Yet as she looked into the dark eyes she adored so much, she felt a weight in her heart. Free is as Free does, Ferox thought sadly before whispering, "Okay, but I'd like to go up next."