Chapter 9: Frozen

Tala Zmaj was a speedy clockwise Beyblade, making it a wretched combination with a spin stealing, counter-clockwise Bey. Collisions needed to happen if Ferox wanted Zmaj to burst Fafnir. However, Zmaj could alternatively out-spin the stamina type. That was easier said than done because Zmaj was an attack type and thus at a disadvantage during longer battles.

Shit, this isn't easy, Ferox thought, her eyes narrowing. What a pain in the ass.

You're on the right track, Zmaj said. I can last longer than Fafnir!

"Sure is. Nice catch. Are you ready?" Free said, slightly annoyed.

Ferox was not surprised that Valt's comment vexed Free. The golden-haired boy must hear people say "It's counter-clockwise?!" all the time due to the rarity of counter-clockwise Beys, and Ferox recalled that Lui had the same pet peeve.

"But it's super wobbly!" Valt said disbelievingly.

Ferox pursed her lips, wondering if she should tell Valt what Free's Beyblade could do. However, she decided against it as Valt and Free were battling--not Valt and her against Free. Stepping in would make Valt look like he could not handle himself.

"Yeah, I know," Free said.

"Figures, that launch isn't going to cut it," Rantaro said, shaking his head.

"No, it is," Ferox said. "Fafnir's design makes the launch viable."

"What, but how?" Rantaro said, gazing at Ferox as if she had grown a second head. "You're good with Beyblade stuff, but it's swinging like a rocking chair!"

"Watch," Ferox said, and her eyes squinted in focus. "I'll give you a hint. Drain Fafnir has a deceptive ability, making it a scourge of clockwise Beyblades."

Rantaro looked at Fafnir and tried to figure out what Ferox meant. He understood that the brown-haired girl was trying to make him to use his head and think critically about the battle, but how could a frail-looking Beyblade be so powerful?

"Now's our chance, Valtryek!" Valt said. His Beyblade zipped toward Fafnir, knocking it further back. "Flip it over! Chocolate chip pancake style!"

Let us fight courageously to the very end, Valtryek announced, waving his sword.

Fafnir gained speed with every collision and confirmed Ferox's suspicions that it could spin steal. On the other hand, Valtryek's rotations slowed down, leaving Valt utterly confused. The blue-haired boy said, "You lost me. What gives?!" 

Free met Valt's question with a hollow stare.

"Is it just me or is it picking up some serious speed!?" Rantaro said, turning toward Ferox. Was this the "deceptive ability" Ferox was referring to? But how did it even work?

Ferox explained, "What you are seeing is a spin steal technique. When Drain Fafnir is hit by a clockwise-spinning Bey, Fafnir absorbs the Bey's spin with its rubber. Fafnir is also a stamina type, so it will take a lot to wear it out."

Ferox resolved that she had to avoid letting Tala Zmaj hit Fafnir as much as possible. Her Beyblade would gain speed by propelling off of stadium walls and avoiding Fafnir. The task ahead of her was nearly impossible, but Ferox was not a quitter. She would prove to Free that she deserved respect as a top-notch blader.

"Uh, Houston, we got a problem. Valtryek keeps slowing down, while Fafnir keeps revving up!" Valt said, his face flushed. He did not know what to do.

"Looks like the tables have turned, huh?" Free said slyly as Valtryek stopped spinning.

It can't be, Valtryek said, lowering his sword before his opponent.