Chapter 8: Sass

"You all see Free? Where did he go?" Valt said as he zipped around and about loitering bladers. "Why isn't he around? What's taking him so long?"

"Free is as Free does. Guess that's to be expected when most of the rules don't apply to you," Django sighed, crossing his arms. He shot Christina a pointed look.

"Anyone know what he's talking about?" Rantaro said, rubbing his neck.

"Django means that he's late for pretty much everything," Kitt elaborated with a shrug. "He's been given plenty of warnings, but he never seems to listen. So, what are you going to do?"

Ferox frowned. Even though Free was a grumpy asshole, it struck her as strange that he would turn up late to things related to Beyblade. Maybe he was tired of being the top blader, but Free was still going strong, so a part of him must love the sport itself. It's not a good look to be so irresponsible, Ferox thought, crossing her arms like Django. What is his deal?

It doesn't matter, Zmaj said, Just focus on taking him down.

"Probably because Chris trusts him more than anyone else. That's why he gets a pass," Rickson added, rolling his eyes. "She always lets him off."

"If I may be bold, I would be happy to take his place," Django said with a grin. He offered Christina a rose, which left Ferox raising an eyebrow.

"No thanks, we'll just wait," Christina said, not even sparing Django a glance.

"AHAHUUugg!" Django cried out.

Stan dragged him away and sighed, "Can't blame him for trying."

"Okay, then. I'll go find him!" Valt announced. As he dashed away, he bumped into Free's chest and fell to the floor with a thump. He groaned and said, "Found him."

"Weird. This is way earlier than usual," Sasha said, surprised.

"You're kidding?" Rantaro said, shaking his head.

Ferox helped Valt up to his feet, and as she looked up, she made eye contact with Free. His dark brown eyes gave away no emotion, but they observed her for a good few seconds before averting. If I didn't know any better, Ferox thought tiredly, I would think he had a crush on me. Still, I've never met a guy who isn't into me and stares at me for that long.

Ferox, we are a stunning pair, Zmaj said smugly.

"You're late again," Christina sighed. She was glad that Free had come earlier than usual, and something inside her hoped that it was due to a certain blader. It was time to see if she had made the right decision by scouting Ferox Aoi.

"Only by three minutes," Free said with a shrug.

"More like seven minutes and ten seconds!" Trad snapped.

Free stared at Trad blankly before lethargically walking to the Beyblade stadium in the center of the gym. He sighed, dipping his head, "So who am I up against first?"

Valt immediately dashed in front of the stadium, and he cried out, "Me, me, me!"

Keep bouncing up and down, Valt! Valtryek said. We're number one!

Ferox smiled wistfully. She never got tired of Valt's enthusiastic attitude; he always volunteered first for everything related to Beyblade. Simultaneously, his decision worked in her favor because she could assess Free's battling style against an attack type Beyblade similar to Zmaj.

"Why am I not surprised?" Free said wearily.

Ferox's eyes narrowed, and the girl chewed her lip. Don't tell me, Ferox thought irritably, that he's going after my younger brother now. What a jerk.