Chapter 48: Victory

Rantaro and Valt fist-bumped each other.

"All right! Ferox showed Cuza who is boss!" Rantaro said.

Valt squealed, "I know! She was like--" Steam blew out of his nostrils. "Arg! Arg! ARGGGGG!"

Oh dear, Valtryek said, exchanging an amused look with Roktavor. Ain't that something?

"You okay, buddy?" Rantaro said, taking a water bottle from the bench. He opened the cap and poured the whole thing over Valt's head.

SQUIRT!

Valt coughed, and his hair flopped down into his face.

"I don't know what it is about watching Ferox battle, but it makes me feel alive!" Valt said, bouncing up and down. The water flicked off of him, and as Ferox approached the trio, Valt tackled her into a hug and roared, "Ferox, yeah! YEAH!"

"We get it," Free said, standing up and moving toward Ferox so that their faces were close together. Valt was squished between the pair now, making Rantaro feel strangely left out. Free continued warmly, "That was a nice battle."

"Speak for yourself," Rantaro murmured. After Valt and Free talked earlier, the blue-haired boy looked at Free like he was his future brother-in-law.

"Any water left?" Ferox said sheepishly, her arms loosely wrapping around Valt.

Rantaro covered his mouth, realizing that he had dumped Ferox's untouched water onto Valt without thinking. Annoyed by Rantaro's thoughtlessness, Free picked up his half-finished water and handed it to Ferox, who drank right from the bottle. "Here," he said.

"You're a life savior," Ferox said, gulping down more water.

Ferox was about to hand the water bottle back to Free when Valt grabbed it, chugged the rest of it, and tossed it on the bench.

"Did you all just share spit?!" Rantaro said, his face turning red.

"Not me," Free sighed.

"It's okay because Free is my bro now!" Valt said with a thumbs-up.

Oh wow, this is new, Zmaj said, perplexed.

Free gave Valt a good pep talk, Valtryek explained. It was inspiring--I tell you!

My blader only said two sentences, Fafnir sighed, and they were short.

Ferox's gaze darted between Free and Valt, and the girl wondered how her younger brother had suddenly become buddy-buddy with her boyfriend. Does this mean Free isn't thinking about leaving BC Sol anymore? Ferox thought, scratching her wrists.

"The next game is ours. We can't afford to lose this one," Christina said, gritting her teeth.

"I'll make sure that Free and Ferox understand that one of them needs to go up," Trad said, picking up the telephone on the wall. However, he had no intention of speaking with Free. Only Ferox, who he believed was the blader he could count on.

Rantaro held up the telephone and said, "Umm, hello?"

"Rantaro, this is Trad. Let me talk to Ferox," Trad said.

So Rantaro handed the telephone to Ferox and said, "Here, it's for you."

"We're kind of busy," Free said, leaning close to Ferox's ear. He narrowed his eyes, sensing that his co-captain was being favored over him. It was not surprising considering that he would have done the opposite of whatever Christina or Trad ordered him to do, but it still ticked him off.