Chapter 37: Tense

A FEW DAYS LATER...

Ferox stared intently at her iPhone, knowing that she had delayed calling SunBat United for far too long. She did not know what she was supposed to expect really; it had been years since she had been in contact with any of the Legendary Bladers.

The Legendary Bladers were a group of nine bladers (ten if you counted Ryuga) who carried a piece of the Star Fragment enchanted inside their Beyblades, and they had defeated Nemesis, the God of Destruction, when he had been revived. Her father had been one of the Legendary Bladers, but ever since he and her mother were murdered, the Legendary Bladers and many associates had gone off the radar. She did not even know if any of them were still alive.

But Yuki had passed on his Star Fragment.

Ferox earnestly feared the worst for Yuki. When a Legendary Blader passed on a Star Fragment, it was never for good reason. Ferox had three Star Fragments, one from her father, another from her father's friend, and the final one from Ashtem. Ashtem was a fool who had attempted to revive Nemesis after his original defeat by crafting a Bey from its remains called Tala Zmaj (that was a story for another time). All three had died afterward.

Yet, Ferox's need to know what happened to Yuki outweighed her fear of learning that he probably was dead, and she dialed SunBat United's public number. Wakiya had probably put her number down on record, so it would not be blocked.

A male voice said, "Hey, it's Ataru speaking! Ferox, how come you called?"

Ferox said, her fingers trembling, "Nice to talk to you again, Ataru. Put Setsuna on the line."

Ferox heard Ataru intake some air, but he said, "Sure, just wait a moment."

After some shuffling, Ferox heard Setsuna say shakily, "Hey, Ferox, how are you doing?"

"...good," said Ferox tentatively before getting right to the point. "How's Yuki?"

Setsuna stammered, "G-good. Why wouldn't he be?"

Ferox breathed heavily, and she grasped her chest with her hand, overwhelmed with relief that Yuki was alive and well. It alarmed Ferox that Setsuna had no idea what shit she was now involved in, yet Ferox wiped tears out of the corners of her eyes. Ferox croaked, unable to inhibit her emotion, "I want to talk to Yuki. Please let me talk to Yuki."

"Okay," said Setsuna, unsure what else to say. She had heard so many good things about Ferox from Yuki, and she knew Ferox so well as the spunky star female athlete on TV. This was the side of Ferox that she did not know, and the news about Ashtem was on the tip of Setsuna's tongue.

Ferox waited, and she almost sobbed as she heard a familiar older male on the other side of the phone: "It's great to talk to you again, Miss Ferox."

"I've missed you, Yuki," Ferox echoed. "It's been some time. You're staying at SunBat United?"

Yuki said, "Yes, but that is beside the point. Miss Ferox, you are in grave danger."

Ferox's blood ran cold. This was not how she had expected her first conversation in a long while with an important individual from her past to be like. But she should have known better, and she swallowed deeply before asking, "What are you talking about?"

"I'm hiding at SunBat United," Yuki replied sorrowfully. "The Legendary Bladers splitting up was a mistake. It took me some time to realize it, but these past few years, I am growing to an understanding that we are all being picked off one by one."

Ferox stilled.

Finally, she whispered, "...my parents' murder was orchestrated?"

Her chest tight and limbs shaking, Ferox remembered something else that had happened that terrible night, another agony that she could not bear to acknowledge. Not until now when she had to face it in full, merciless force. Her head spun, and her vision grew blurry.