Chapter 35: Burst

Throughout the tryouts for the top team, Valt, Rantaro, and Ferox plowed through their competitors. Trad collected data, tapping and clicking on his iPad; Ferox kept looking at Trad, wondering if she should approach him.

She felt bad for letting her temper get the best of her earlier. She did understand why Trad had done what he did. Ferox remembered feeling upset when she first met Free; the way he would arrive late and bail out on training was disrespectful.

Trad noticed Ferox's frequent glances, and he moved to stand next to her. "You understand why I was hard on him," Trad said. Another battle concluded, and Trad quickly typed in the results into his iPad before looking back at Ferox.

"I know you had the best intentions," Ferox admitted. "It just wasn't the right way to do it. Even so, I'm sorry about getting so angry. I was frustrated. I talked to Free earlier, and he was going to stay. And after that comment you made..." She trailed off.

Trad smiled slightly. "I appreciate that. Things didn't go as planned, and so be it. I'll do better next time," he said. After a moment, he said, "I just want to say that I get why you were so quick to anger. I understand that Japan is particularly tough on female bladers. I saw that a national Japanese newspaper released an article wondering how your future prospects with men would be instead of celebrating your victory against Lui."

Ferox stared at Trad.

She had not expected him to bring up something like that. She generally tried not to think about how harsh the press could be; she bladed because she enjoyed it, and nobody could hold her back from doing what she loved.

Trad was not wrong, however, that the aggressive attitude Ferox had developed was partly due to the media. Newspapers either touted her as some miraculous icon of female equality or made fun of her for being too masculine, and she was sick of it all.

Ferox just wanted to blade in peace.

"That doesn't excuse my outburst," Ferox said, shaking her head. She joked, "Yell at me like everyone else, Trad."

"I will," Trad chuckled. He was not the fondest of Ferox's tendency towards verbal onslaughts, but he admired her lack of entitlement despite being an incredible blader. Her responsible nature was refreshing compared to the headache Free constantly gave him.

A part of Trad even wished that Ferox was BC Sol's captain instead, but he knew that Free would not stand for somebody else taking his long-held position. Free was laid-back, yet he had a massive amount of pride.

Trad turned his attention back to the battles, and he announced, "Now for the first battle between Django and Valt!"

"You're in for a serious reality check!" Django challenged.

Valt laughed, "Let me show you what we're made of! Valt is in the house!"

"Three, two, one. Let it, rip!"

"Snap out of it, buddy! You're out of control!" Valt said as Valtryek tipped to the side and scratched the edges of the stadium.

Not again! Valtryek said, exasperated, but he quickly recovered. You can do it, Valt!

Ferox pursed her lips. Valt clearly still needed to work on his bond with the newly evolved Valtryek, but it was something that only time and training could do.

"You're finished, newbie! Right here!" Django said, and his Beyblade Quetziko zipped forward, knocking Valtryek around. Suddenly, Valtyek collided with the stadium wall, using it to gain a burst of speed. Django gasped, "How did it recover like that?!"

"Now, hit it with a Spring-Rush Launch, Valtryek!" Valt said.

Valtryek collided with Quetziko, taking it out with an instant burst finish.