seven - something

Millie had begged Finn to tell her what he had been sorting out while he went away, but he would only tell her that they were safe now. Her mind drifted to the darkest thoughts, wondering how Finn had got them out of town or if they were even still alive. But deep down she knew that it was best to stay in the dark about everything. 

One day when she had returned from school, Millie's parents revealed to her that they were going away for the weekend. 

"What do you mean?" she frowned as she watched them pack, crossing her arms over her chest. 

"Your dad has got us a trip for our anniversary" her mother squealed quietly, winking at her daughter discreetly, "god knows what he has done, but apparently I have to pack for sunshine and fun."

Millie's smile faded. "What about me?"

"You'll be okay, won't you?" her mother's eyebrows furrowed, "or do you want me to get him to cancel? Honey, if you need me here-"

"No! Seriously" Millie laughed, scratching her arm nervously, "enjoy yourselves. It is your anniversary after all, I'm not making you stay home. I'm sixteen, I'll be fine for one weekend."

"Okay" her mother bit her lip, "just remember-"

"The spare key is under the chipped plant pot and to call the neighbors if I need anything. Oh, and no parties" Millie rolled her eyes with a giggle. 

Her mother ruffled her hair and kissed her forehead. "Love you, honey."

Millie loved her parents to death, but being an only child she found herself sometimes being left out. It was something that she treasured, having parents that were still so in love but that often meant that they forgot to include their daughter. They had always gone on date nights and on spa trips, leaving Millie by herself but they had never gone away for an entire weekend before. 

Sometimes Millie felt like she was just standing in the background of their perfect family portrait. 

"Finn?" Millie called after her parents had left the house, leaving nothing but an eerie silence behind. 

"Yeah?" Finn asked, finishing off the cereal she had brought up for him. His face had significantly healed and the innocent way he was glancing up at her with a mouthful of cereal made him seem like just another teenage boy. Her mind instantly went to the fact that a teenage boy was in her room, particularly to the fact that he was the school player and she blushed slightly. 

"My parents are gone for the weekend" she sighed as she searched through her closet for something to change into. "So you don't have to stay in here all day, explore the house if you want."

"Seriously?" he raised an eyebrow and she shrugged. "Well aren't you going to give me the grand tour?"

"I'm getting changed" she said in a matter of the fact way and rolled her eyes at his growing smirk, the way that he sat up straighter. 

"Well I don't mind waiting for the tour, you can go ahead and get changed if you want, sunshine" Finn put his hands behind his head comfortably as if he was waiting for a show. 

"Nice try" she smiled sarcastically, "get out."

With a dramatic sigh after she pointed to her door, Finn left her and went to explore her house. It was rather large with sleek counter tops and fancy paintings, no cheap or sentimental ornaments to make it feel like a home. There was one large photo frame in the center of the dining table filled with a professional photo-shoot style picture of the family, all standing up straight in their best clothes. Millie had a small smile and her parents had hands on her shoulders as if presenting her to guests, but for some reason it wasn't what Finn recognized as her usual smile.