four - dangerous

Millie was out jogging near her street, enjoying the warm air, when she saw something that made her blood run cold. 

She had initially heard voices nearby, taking out one of her earbuds in confusion. Hearing grunts and yelps, she panicked and immediately followed the noises to the alleyway down her road, thinking that somebody could be hurt. What she saw made her freeze and hide quickly behind a tree, shaking slightly in her workout attire. 

Finn was holding down a smaller boy against the brick wall, muttering to him in a low and cold tone of voice. Millie watched carefully, feeling sick to her stomach as the boy struggled under Finn's grip, looking at them for mercy. There was another boy around Finn's age that was a little smaller than him and had dark skin, holding up a knife to the boys groin. 

"You tell Dean that I want 5 ounces by tomorrow or there will be hell to pay!" Finn spat into the boy's crying face, so close that he could feel his breath on his cold face. 

"I can't get it by then!" the boy cried out helplessly, kicking his legs and trying to breathe. 

"Then you run far away, you little shit" the dark-skinned boy leaned in close, pressing the neck against his lower stomach making the skinny boy yelp. "Otherwise you'll wish that we would have finished you off today."

Finn kicked the younger boy's stomach making him groan in agony as Millie's eyes filled with tears, she quickly ran home trying to block out the yells of pain from the alley as Finn took out his anger. She could barely catch her breath when she made it back to her bedroom, quickly changing into comfier clothes before waiting, pacing back and forth in anger. 

Around half an hour later of Millie feeling sick and angry, Finn climbed through her window and raised his eyebrows when he saw her dark expression, so used to seeing her smile. It was dark outside and late, Millie was not up for his lies or his little games. 

"What is it now?"

Millie picked up his backpack and threw it at him, making him stumble back in surprise, "How dare you! You think I'm going to let a criminal stay here that beats up random teenagers in alleyways? Two minutes away from my house?"

Finn's eyes widened in panic and he shoved her against the wall angrily, covering her mouth with his hand and leaning in close. "Shut your goddamn mouth! Do you want someone to hear and then call the police on me?"

She struggled for a few moments, whining against his hand for him to let go, before she quietened down giving him a pleading stare. He reluctantly let go of her shakily, rolling his eyes and taking off his jacket, "You going to calm down, now?"

"How can you say that?" Millie gasped, horror in her eyes, "you're such an asshole. Beating up innocent people that can't defend themselves!"

"Who said he was innocent, princess?" he spat and she hated the way it sounded, like she was a privileged little girl on her throne, not caring about the world. 

"Then tell me" she crossed her arms and glared at him, "tell me why he deserved it and you sure as hell better have a good reason!"

"I don't owe you anything" Finn snapped, pointing at her rudely making her shrink back. 

"Depends on if you want to stay here" Millie shrugged, and Finn scoffed. 

"You would kick me out back onto the streets?" Finn asked, laying down on her bed as if it was his own. "Sunshine, I don't think you could be that cruel."

Millie sniffed and looked away sharply, knowing that he was right. No matter what he had gotten himself into, for some reason she had a bad feeling that if she was to send him home, he might not return to school without bruises ever again. Part of her had some weird need to know that he was okay and for some reason she felt as if he was her responsibility. 

"I'm going to bed" Millie's voice was shaky as she turned off the lamp, watching as Finn carefully got off her covers, as if he was shocked. He stood beside her bed awkwardly, confused as to why she wasn't still screaming at him or forcing him out. He watched her get into the far side of her double bed against the wall and face away from him quickly. He took off his jeans and put on the navy hoodie that he had stolen from Caleb's that day, watching Millie's still body with a frown.

He let out a short breath, hating the suffocating feeling of guilt rising up inside his chest. He sat down on the makeshift bed on the floor before sighing, fiddling with the ends of the blanket. 

"My dad is in this business. He makes me do his dirty work for him and I do it to stay out of trouble" his voice was quiet but it made Millie shift slightly, turning around to rest on her back, staring up at the ceiling. 

"What happens if you don't do it?" Millie asked hesitantly, staring at the stick on glow in the dark stars that were on her ceiling from when she was little. 

Finn let out a humorless chuckle, "I refused the other day and came to school with a pretty messed up face. You do the math."

Millie bit her lip, feeling her heart ache for him despite not knowing him very well at all. There was just something about him that made her feel like she had to get closer to him, to go in deeper into his personality. 

"Why are you here? Did you get in trouble?" Millie's voice cracked slightly. 

"I didn't get the drugs he wanted in time so he invited his friends round with a baseball bat. Let's just say that they weren't looking to play any sports, sunshine" Finn's voice was careful and calm, and she hated how it seemed like he was so used to it. 

"I'm sorry" she whispered into the dark room, hearing him sigh softly in return. 

There was a few moments of silence and she heard Finn moving around uncomfortably on the floor. She sighed and reluctantly gave in. 

"You can sleep in the bed, if you want" she spoke softly, "it will be comfier than the floor. Plenty of room."

Finn hesitated before feeling his back itch from her fluffy carpet, letting out a breath of relief. "Thank you."

He grabbed the blanket and joined her in the bed, lifting up the covers and refusing to look at her. He felt really awkward, not used to sharing a bed with a girl for anything other than sex. He kept to his side, shuffling as far away as possible before relaxing into the soft pillow and duvet wrapped around him. 

"Why didn't you kick me out earlier?" Finn asked in a small voice, swallowing heavily, "I would have if I was you. I'm not your responsibility."

Millie sighed slightly, "I don't know. I guess I just feel like I need to know you're safe."

Finn barely heard her answer before he fell into a deep sleep, next to Millie who did not get a single minute of sleep, too busy worrying about the troubled boy sharing her bed. 

xxx

Let me know what you thought! I know it may seem like they are bonding pretty fast but they are two fragile people and are spending their time together, not to mention they both find each other attractive! But it won't be smooth sailing, don't worry. 

I hope you enjoyed it, let me know what your favorite part was and I will be updating in a couple of days. Love you all :)

~Jodie