Chapter XIII

The Last Vampire Princess

Ana woke up with an unfamiliar noise; a man screaming her name and shaking her shoulder. A  huge migraine pounded in the back of her head,  making her groan in pain. Never before had her head hurt this much before. Here she thought that hangovers were bad. She of course has never had one but she has seen her father, Greg with one before.  Slowly her vision cleared and she stopped seeing spots.

 Levi was sitting on his knees on the bed, he leaned over her and looked desperately into her eyes. 

She wanted to say something, but her throat was too dry.

Levi handed her a cup of water and helped her sit up on the bed. He could tell that she was thirsty, he did after all, drink a lot of blood. He knew what he had done to her was wrong. But it was his fault for not eating in days. He had resisted, telling himself he wasn't a bloodthirsty monster, but the fact that he almost killed this girl, proved otherwise.

"Thank God, I thought you died. You scared me Anastasia." After Anastasia finished the glass he reached over and hugged her. For a second, Levi thought that he drank too much. He already hated himself for what he was, but he wouldn't be able to live either if he had killed her from his thirst deprivation.

The first thing she had noticed, was his pausing through sentences, was now gone.

Maybe that's what happens when a vampire is thirsty... It probably becomes too hard to even speak at times because they are blood-deprived...

She was snapped from her thoughts when she felt his hands tighten around her frame. "Levi, what are you-" Ana stopped talking mid-sentence in a deadly calm voice. She knew that saying his name and not saying "Elador" was wrong, but at the moment she could've care less.

To be honest, she was surprised she hadn't cracked and jumped out the window. She wanted to believe that it wasn't true. That Levi wasn't a monster. But it was obvious now. Levi is a vampire.

"Anastasia, you already know the answer. I don't think I have to spell it out for you." Levi shifted his weight so that he was sitting criss-cross-apple-sauce. All this time, she thought that Jude, Beth, and Levi had been joking about ordering blood for breakfast. I mean, how was she supposed to know that vampires are real and that, heaven-nows-what-else-is-walking-this-planet-right-now, is real.

She could not have felt more stupid than she did in this very moment. She had been dumb enough to call this guy kind. He was the one who had kidnapped her in the first place. So why does she still feel like she could trust him?    

"Do you also feed off the other maids?"

"No. We-I don't drink human blood. I'm supposed to only drink animal blood. You were the first human I have ever tried." His voice, held a repulsed tone to it.  As if he regretted ever trying it and was planing on going back to his animal diet.

"Are... Are Jude and Beth Vampires too?" Anastasia had to know. This question was bugging her.

"Yes." Levi then made eye contact and she saw a strange emotion in his eyes. It was if he felt bad, but for what?

"Why am I so calm about all of this?"

"Because I told you to be."

"W-what? I don't-" Before Anastasia could not finish before he cut her off.

"Anastasia, I need you to answer a few questions, will you?" She didn't break eye contact with Levi. She felt like she couldn't but at the same time she wanted to.

What's happening to me?

Before she could stop herself, Anastasia said,

"Yes."

"What did Heath say to you when you walked him to his car last night? I know that you two weren't communicating casually. Something happened. Please tell me." He got closer to her face and she could smell the cologne he was wearing. It was a strong musk with the hint of woods to it.

"He asked me to marry him, he said that if I did then he could take me away from this place and I'd be able to see my friends and family again. He said that he could make me happy, if I married him." Her voice sounded monotone.

Is this what being hypnotized is? I can't control what I say or do?

"Do you want to marry him?" Levi held Anastasia's gaze, now only centimeters apart. His eyes held a strong intensity, she couldn't place her finger on it. It's as if he was desperate to tell her something, but what?

"No." Anastasia paused for a second and furrowed her eyebrows. "But I would in order to see Jackson again."

Levi's eyes widened. Anastasia wasn't expecting what happened next, what she saw in Levi was not kindness, but rage. She could feel her heart rate speeding up. Never before had she seen this side of him. The two stared into each other's eyes and his expression held one of no emotion.

"State your relationship with Jackson." Levi's voice had grown deep. His eyes never left hers. If anything, she felt as if she was drowning in his voice. She couldn't tell where his voice was coming from anymore, but she still answered the question.

"He's the only family I have. He's always been there for me when I needed him. We care for each other like brother and sister." She felt a tear roll down her cheek. Just talking about him got her all choked up inside and out. Anastasia really did miss Jackson. He was in more ways than one, her own personal comic relief. Even though they are complete opposites, they still ended up being best friends.

"Anastasia, I want you to forget we had this conversation. I want you to forget everything that I asked and told you. You came in here and helped me and I dismissed you."

Just like that Anastasia forgot everything. She didn't remember what they had been talking about and why she was on his bed. She did however remember one thing. She couldn't trust any of the Three Eladors, for they were all beasts in human form.