Chapter VIII

The Last Vampire Princess

"Elador Beth, you've requested me?" Anastasia stood on the outside of Beth's door. She didn't know why he'd suddenly ordered one of the servants to come and fetch her, but whatever it was, it must be a complaint about something.

"Yes, come in."

Anastasia cautiously entered Beth's bedroom and bowed before she could move another step into the room. Its another one of the many rules that the maids and servants must follow.

"Was there something you needed?" Ana straightened up and stared down at the wooden floor. Oh how badly she wished she could fall through them. Like with Jude, Anastasia always felt as if Beth would crack at any second and lash out at her.

"Yes, I-I-I'm not feeling very well. Would you mind fetching me a wet towel and a cup of water?" Beth forced a smile and his eyes landed on a cup next to him.

Quickly, Ana crossed the room, grabbed the cup and headed towards the bathroom to grab a washrag and to fill up the cup. When she'd done both of those things, she came back and lightly patted down Beth's face with the wet rag. A few droplets slipped down his cheekbones and dribbled down his neck. Surprisingly, Beth didn't complain.

"Ah, thank you Anastasia."

"You're welcome, Elador Beth." Anastasia handed Beth the glass of water. He graciously took it and gulped it's contents.

"Such a kind girl." 

"Tell me," He paused momentarily before gather up the words that he wanted to say, "Did you do the same for Levi?"

Oh, so that's it... He's mocking me...

"No, sir. I rubbed Levi's back first, then I fetched the towel and cup. Although, I was more frantic at the time." Anastasia nodded her head as if she were agreeing with herself and placed her hands in front of her. She grasped them together lightly and smiled kindly at Beth.

"Mmmm... So you are a smart aleck?" Beth gave her a haunting grin and slowly crept closer towards her. 

"No Elador Beth, I'm not. I was only telling you what I did differently to Levi than for you. I'm sorry if it sounded as if I was acting with acuity." Anastasia bowed her head and waited for Beth to speak. For a moment he didn't speak, he merely stared down at Ana as if she were a fly on the wall. It's how Beth has always thought of women, annoying flys that needed to be either killed or put to good use.

"Mhmmm, well I'm glad that you apologized. You were very out of line." Beth nodded his head in agreement with himself and waited to get a reaction out of Anastasia. Instead she blinked a few times, but nonetheless began backing away from Beth and retreating to the door.

"Call for me again if you need me. Good day, Elador Beth." With that, Anastasia turned around and closed the door behind her.

Talk about a waste of time...

She wanted very badly to slap Beth across his pretty little face. How dare he speak to her in such a way! As if the whole thing was her fault! She mentally pictured herself slapping Beth silly and couldn't help the smile that played along her lips.

"You seem happy, Anastasia." Levi sat on the lounging couch with his legs sprawled out in front of him. His hair was a bit damp, Ana knew that he'd recently taken a shower. She could practically smell his after shave across the room. He wore a dark shirt, light wash jeans, and a strange necklace that looked to be the shape of some sort of stone, although it must be a rare stone because Ana has never seen one quite like it. Instead of shoes, he wore white socks and a pleasant smile on his face.

"Yes well, I suppose you could say that."

She didn't even realize she was in the living room downstairs before it was too late. She didn't mind though, especially if it was accompanying Levi.

"Didn't Beth call for you?"

"Yes, he did." Anastasia couldn't keep the bitterness from her voice, she hoped that her pleasant smile covered up her sharp tone.

"I take it you dislike Beth?" Levi held an amused expression. He didn't even try suppressing it.

"Dislike isn't a strong enough word." Anastasia muttered and poured Levi a cup of earl grey tea. The smell of it wafted through the room and seemed to smolder Ana's once annoyed attitude.

"Oh, so you're going to be blunt about it?" Levi's once amused smile turned into a wide grin. She was glad that she was able to make him smile, the past couple of days he's been sickly and not feeling very well. His eyes had looked sunken in, his lips were cracked, and he talked slowly. Now all that remained were purple bags under his eyes and he spoke like a normal person.

"No, I'd rather be honest, than lie." She placed the cup of tea in front of Levi and stood before him, waiting to be ordered. Honestly though, she hated being treated like a maid. She felt lower in class, better yet, she didn't even feel like she was human. Only a pet of some sort that follows their masters orders. Ana wanted to speak up against the three Eladors and tell them that she wasn't their maid, she was the same thing that they were, human. But the problem was that they owned her, literally.

"Anastasia? Did you hear me?" Levi was still smiling at her with an expectant gleam in them.

"Sorry, Elador Levi, what was it?"

"I asked you how you are, but it's obvious you are engrossed in your own thoughts." Levi held a smug expression and patted the seat on the opposite side of him.

"Ana, you're looking a bit, pale. Why don't you sit?"

Anastasia stumbled over her shoes and managed to seat herself. This was the first time that one of the Elador's had treated her like she were human or at least something above a pet. It was stunning that Levi was acting like this towards her.

"Thank you, Elador Levi." Anastasia neatly placed her hands in her lap and pressed her back against the plush cushions.

"Hmm?"

"For caring."

It was the first moment the two had shared, both forgetting their place. He wasn't supposed to care and she wasn't supposed to want him to.