Chapter Fifteen

Yunho sat on the padded floor between the parallel bars and thought over his predicament.  It had been four days since Jae had left and Go Ara had re-entered his life.  She had visited every day since, but Yunho still found it impossible not to worry about Jae.  He had asked Soo Jin the night before if she had heard from Jae, and she had looked depressed when she informed him that Jae had not contacted her. 

“Are you ready to try again?”  Bill asked, hovering over him. Yunho had finally managed to take that third step today, promptly falling on his ass afterwards.

“Yeah, of course,”  Yunho said, pulling himself back up.  At first the constant falling had been more annoying than anything else, but the padded floor kept him from hurting himself.  He had slowly grown to appreciate the art of pulling himself back up again.

“Bill, I know I am getting stronger and I know I will walk again, but what about writing or anything that requires precision?”  

“That’s harder to get back actually, but I would never count you out,”  Bill told him, setting Yunho’s legs.  “Now shift your weight between your legs.”

Yunho did as instructed shifting quickly back to his left leg when he felt the right one giving out.  “I used to be rather intelligent and it would be a shame if I couldn’t even write my name.”

“Yunho, it is best that you learn to use the left hand more and make it work for you.  It is just a process of relearning.” Bill said, while watching Yunho’s legs closely.

“I know, they are trying to get me to use it more.  I’m getting better, but I am just thinking of the future.  I want things to be like they were before or as close as possible.  I would love to be able write music or play a musical instrument,”  Yunho explained to him, many ideas has taken birth in Yunho’s mind the last couple of days.

“There is place not far from where I was born that’s probably the most specialized rehab center in the world.  It deals with lots of athletes and musicians, its focus is to return a person to their prior abilities.  It wouldn’t accept you now, but once you are up walking again if you have the money it’s a possibility, but it isn’t cheap.”

“Is it in your blue state?”  Yunho inquired as his right leg gave out and he plopped back down on the padded mat.

“No, but it’s a blue state, too.  It’s actually in New York although not as blue as Vermont,”  Bill told him, smiling down at the man who fell so gracefully now.

“Do gay people get married there too?”  Yunho asked honestly curious.

“Well, I don’t think they actually legally marry there, but they honor the marriage if that makes any sense,”  Bill answered as he looked up and saw Hana enter the room.  “It looks like Ms. Hana is here to steal you away from me.”

Yunho looked up at the young nurse as she grabbed his wheelchair and wheeled it over to him.  “Ready?”

“No, but since they won’t let me practice any longer I suppose I will go,”  Yunho said, pulling himself up again as Bill helped Hana position the wheelchair and they both assisted Yunho off the bars and back into his chair.

“Tomorrow same time, same place,” Bill said, patting Yunho on the shoulder.

“Deal,”  Yunho agreed, as Hana started wheeling him away.