Chapter 22

ASHTON'S POV

"You're sending me away?" I asked, trying hard to keep my voice from breaking. I looked at my mum and I knew how much she didn't want to but her eyes told me that her decision was final.

I understood her but at that moment, I didn't want to. I wanted to stay.

"We'll see each other again," she said, holding my face and trying her best to smile.

"Why does this have to happen?" I asked nobody in particular. I just wanted to let out the question that had been screaming inside me ever since everything crumbled right before my eyes.

I hated every second of it. I hated seeing my mum having no sleep at all and getting really stressed out, handling whatever's been thrown at her.

The house was sold, the car, jewelry, we did everything we could to stay afloat. There was still enough money in the bank but even that was unreliable because of what we'd been accused of.

I hated staying at the sidelines, doing nothing. Being of no use,

At the airport, I stood with Luke, Calum, Michael. We waved goodbye at our parents and soon, we were on a plane that would take us far away from the chaos as much as possible.

"One day," Luke said, his face devoid of any expression, "They will pay."

"They will all pay," Michael added, furious.

All of us agreed on to that, making sure that we'd be there to watch as the tables would be turned and those who had wronged us would finally get what they deserved.

***

"Hey, mister?" the waitress said, snapping me back to reality as she was waving in front of me. "Mister? Are you all right?" She handed me the paintbrushes I was looking for.

It was hard to find special paintbrushes, especially the zero-point ones. The art shops inside the university didn't have any stock so I had to go out to look for these. Thankfully I got them, the last two stocks.

Because it was noon, the parking spaces in this district of the city was filled up. I parked three blocks down from where I stood.

I passed by some fancy restaurants and remembered the dinners we used to have in places like those in Sydney. Not that I missed them, the lads and I weren't much fans of foie gras or coq au vin. I just remembered them.

My phone buzzed from my pocket and it was Luke calling. He just told me about the schedule of practice tonight. The lads and I had been given another opportunity to play in front of a crowd. This time, it would be for people mostly in our age group.

"Yeah, I'll see you later, man," I said and ended the call. When I looked through the glass panel of the restaurant beside me, I saw Victoria and her friend Harry walk in together. Both were in formal outfits: Victoria was in a creme-colored dress while Harry was in a coat and tie. Just like their Vanity Fair cover.

I was about to call Victoria to look to her left to see me but I froze in place as I saw a man approach them at their table. One phone call from him gave us enough to worry about. And now, he's here...and what was he doing, meeting with Victoria and Harry?

I watched as Victoria and her friend shook hands with the man while he greeted them back, all smiles and courtesy shown.

I had a lot of things racing through my mind so I went on and walked briskly back to the car.

Whatever he was planning to do, it sure sent a chill down my spine. But this time, I just didn't want to sit around and watch things turn to ash.

VICTORIA'S POV