Chapter 13

ASHTON'S POV

All throughout my shift, the number of customers that visited The Loft could simply be counted on a hand. Right after Victoria was almost caught by a person named Harry, we bid each other good night and that was when a customer walked in. I just spent most of my shift on a book, since The Loft's overflowing with them.

Right when my shift ended, Luke walked in and sat down by the counter. I was already out of my apron and about to go but it seemed that he wanted to buy something.

"One frap and a cronut," Luke said without looking at me.

As much as I wanted to get it for Luke, I really felt that my legs were logs now. Still, I turned around and headed for the kitchen but that was when Luke laughed.

"I'm just kidding, dude," he said. "Come on. We're practicing."

Luke and I walked to Schaffer Lane and went to his and Michael's dorm, Brent Residence Hall. The neighborhood was really crazy during weekends. People played in the yard and it was a nice scene. Freshman or Senior, they were all outside, either skateboarding, playing basketball, some were even playing with bubbles. I wished I had my camera with me.

"I hope I was in the picture," Luke said, pointing to my phone.

"What, you wanted to photobomb it?" I said, snapping another photo. The best photos were the ones when everything's candid, nobody minding how they looked.

We walked inside Michael and Luke's room. Calum was on the bed, a guitar in his hand, while Michael was, for the first time in a long time, dong school work. It was seven in the morning and I should probably get some sleep already.

"You can have my bed for today, mate," Michael said, looking up from his book. "When you wake up, that's when we could practice."

"Thanks, Michael," I said and lay down.

But as I was about to close my eyes, someone's phone rang. It wasn't mine so I just closed my eyes and turned my back to the lads.

"Hello?" I heard Luke say.

Michael and Calum were snickering in the background but Luke silenced them, his tone serious. That made me open my eyes and face them.

There was a worried look in Luke's face and he glanced at each of us worriedly. What could that be about?

"Yes," Luke said. "Yes. We're doing fine. Thank you. And uhh..." He took out a candy from his pocket and crumpled the wrapper next to the phone. "I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you very well. All right. Will do, sir. What? Okay. Good day."

"Who's that?" Calum asked, setting the guitar aside.

"Sheridan," Luke said.

Sheridan. I sat up and looked at the others. They're also giving me the same look of confusion. "Jerry Sheridan?" I clarified. "The lawyer?"

Luke looked at me and nodded. "He was checking on us. Asking us how we are. And..." Luke sat on a chair beside Michael.

"And you told him to shut the f-" Michael tried to supply.

"And he wanted to know which university we're attending," Luke said. "Which I didn't tell." He held up the candy wrapper for us to see. I felt like patting Luke on the back for doing that. I saw that trick done once on TV, in Parent Trap. It was when Hallie and Annie were talking on the phone. Hallie was hiding in a cabinet, talking to Annie. The former used candy wrapper to pretend that something was wrong with the connection.

"He couldn't possibly call us just to know how we're doing," Michael said. "That man's got something brewing."

Sheridan having called us was not good. I personally agreed with Michael. "It seems like he's got something brewing ever since he was born, you know?"