Chapter 80

ASHTON'S POV

"Mr. West, what is the next case?" Judge Henley asked.

The trial was now back in session. I could breathe a little easier this time but I was still nervous on what was still had to be discussed.

"Your Honor, the next case is about the attempted assault on Victoria Hale," Mr. West answered.

"Prosecution, you may start," Judge Henley gave the go signal.

"I call to the stand Gabriel Kristopher," William said.

Gabriel was sworn in once again. He had done a lot for us and standing here once again. I would never know how to repay him. He even took a bullet for Victoria. I should be the one with her that time, but I wasn't there.

"The engagement party was held at our house that day," Gabriel started. "I was preparing for the event. I was walking around the house and I heard my dad talking to Fitzgerald Sheridan. They said...they said something about an event that would happen. Something that they should do since Victoria Hale would be at the party."

"Fast forward to the party, what happened?" William asked.

"I was really scared. I didn't tell Victoria because I didn't want to scare her, and I wasn't even sure as to what would happen. All I know was that I was afraid," Gabriel said. "We were dancing by the pool area and that's when I saw a gunman aiming for Victoria."

Victoria was also called into the stand and she recounted the events at the party. Her statement was consistent with Gabriel's.

William nodded and turned back to Judge Henley.

The defense lawyer stood up and called Richard Kristopher to the stand.

As Richard Kristopher was sworn in, his expression had changed.

"Fitzgerald Sheridan and I may have spoken with one another but I have nothing to do with how the process carried out," Richard Kristopher said. "He told me that he'd take care of it. I trusted him, but I didn't expect that he'd almost killed my son."

Fitzgerald Sheridan looked betrayed and he was filled with rage as Richard Kristopher spoke against him. I was confused at what was happening. Richard Kristopher just turned against his own colleague.

Richard Kristopher may have hated his children but maybe his fatherly instinct just took over and didn't let anyone hurt his kids. "I'm pressing charges against Fitzgerald Sheridan."

"Is that all, Mr. Kristopher?" Judge Henley asked.

"That is all, Your Honor," Richard Kristopher answered. He sat back down and he looked at Sheridan like he was about to kill him.

The day seemed to take a toll on Judge Henley. She was looking tired. Well, who wouldn't be?

"The fourth one is the last case today, is that correct Mr. West?" Judge Henley asked.

Up to this moment, I was still wondering what the last case was about. I was positive that everything that needed to be discussed had been brought to the court. So again, my question was what else was left?

Mr. West cleared his throat. "Yes. Your Honor, the next case is Ashton Irwin versus Fitzgerald Sheridan."

I didn't expect to hear that.

What did I have to do with this? For all the meetings we had, we never talked about this. Even I didn't know what this was about. My mum stared at me in confusion and I just looked back at her, clueless as to what was going on.

"Do not make a scene, Ash," Luke whispered to me as he gripped my arm.

I looked at Luke and he knew what was going on. How come he knew about this and I didn't?