Chapter I

The Last Vampire Princess

Right when Ana thought she'd be sleeping in a bit longer, Ana heard her step father's booming voice calling her.

"Ana sweetie, why don't you come on down and have breakfast with us?" Greg's voice sounded disgustingly cheery, but Ana nonetheless, obeyed.

Letting out a deep and heavy sigh, Ana gathered the blankets and pulled them off of her. She put her feet on to the cold hard wood floor and set off down stairs. Ana hated this same routine. Today was the first day of summer, you would think that he would allow her to sleep in, but no. This is him that we're talking about. Greg has to have everything his way whether someone else likes it or not.

She was not your typical kind of girl. She got by on what she could, that goes for grades too. They didn't nessicarily matter to her as long as it was a passing one.
Her attitude towards things was 'live and let live' or to just 'go with the flow'. It was just her nature to be relaxed. However, Greg seemed to bring out the worst in her and made her feel anxious from the minute she woke up.

Ana headed towards the refrigerator and pulled out a water bottle. She was always thirsty in the morning. Not waiting to sit down, she opened the cap and chugged the bottle. The taste of cool water seemed to sooth Ana slightly. When she finished off the bottle, Ana sat herself down at the kitchen table. Before her was a grotesque pile of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and biscuits. Ana wasn't very hungry, but she didn't want to make Lacey sad, so she grabbed a nearby plate and added a small scoop of eggs and a biscuit.

"How was your sleep?" Asked Lacey. She munched on a piece of bacon and looked at Ana expectantly. She had that overly perky look in her eyes that made Ana want to stop eating her breakfast.

She had long light blonde hair that came down to her rib cage in curled rivets. She had big doe eyes that always seemed to make her have the deer-in-the-headlights look. Typically she wore an apron over her jeans and tank top or long sleeve cotton top.

Ana hated doing this the most. She hated pretending like they were all a perfect family. Lacey always turned a blind eye even though she was well aware of Greg cheating on her behind her back. Ana will never understand why she keeps taking that scumbag back. He's nothing but trash.

Ana thought to herself, I guess Lacey must like trash...

She averted her eyes and nodded her head. Grabbing a nearby spoon Ana shoveled some eggs on to it and took a small bite. The eggs tasted delicious, with or without cheese.

"Are you glad to be out of school?" Greg asked. He had piled his plate full of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and lots of biscuits. Ana could already tell that he was growing a third chin and that his beer belly seemed to have expanded.

Is he expecting soon?

"Mhmmm." Anastasia mumbled with her mouth closed.

She wanted to enjoy the flavor of the eggs, but it seemed as if the flavor was turning sour in her mouth. Not wanting to sit at the table any longer she grabbed her biscuit and stood up from her seat. Ana glanced at the clock and cringed slightly.

"Work. I have to go."

Thank god she came up with an excuse to get away. Ana wasn't sure how much longer she could take of being at that table. Turning around abruptly Ana hurried cut through the living room and headed towards the stairs.

"Remember Ana, be a dear and bring home my beer for me, okay?"

Ana froze in mid-step. She knew that tonight was going to be a long night. That Greg was going to do what he always did when he was intoxicated. Not answering, Ana slowly stepped up on to each step of the stairs.