QUEEN MEDB

QUEEN MEDB

In the Ulster cycle of Irish mythology, Queen Medb (pronounced May-v) ruled over Cruachan, though it is now called called Rathcroghan, County Roscommon. In most stories of the cycle her husband was Ailill mac Mata, though it is said she had many husbands before him that were also kings of Connaught. Medb was said to be strong-willed, ambitious, cunning, and a warrior queen.

Her enemy was Conchobar mac Nessa, a king of Ulster, who had once been her husband. Medb is quite to the sovereignity goddess and is thought to be linked to the Morrigan, as well as possibly being the inspiration for the fairy Queen Mab found in Shakespeare.

Medb's father was Eiochaid Feidlech, the High King of Ireland, and he married her off to Conchobar mac Nessa because he had killed Conchobar's father - who was the former High King of Ireland - in battle. The marriage was a very unhappy one and after Medb born him a son she named Glaisne, she left him.

Eochaid married another of his daughters to Conchobar, but when the daughter fell pregnant, Medb killed her in her sleep, and her son Furbaide was born by C-section. Eiochaid later got rid of the then-king of Connaught, Tinni mac Conri, and installed Medb on the throne instead.

However, when Medb and Tinni eventually became lovers, he inherited a share of the throne. After an assembly at Tara took place, Medb was raped by Conchobar, while led to war breaking out between Ulster and Eiochaid.

After Tinni lost a challenge and his place as Medb's lover, Eochaid Dala of the Fir Domnann seized the opportunity for kingship and protected the Connaught army, later becoming Medb's next husband and therefore king.

Medb demanded her husband to be without fear, meanness, or jealousy, especially the last one since she was known to be fond of taking lovers. However, it wasn't long before Eochaid forgot the last rule and jealousy overcame him when he discovered Medb's affair with her the chief of her bodyguard, Ailill mac Mata.

Eochaid challenged Aillil, but he lost and so Ailill married Medb, becoming king of Connaught and Medb's third husband.

They would later have seven sons and one daughter. Medb re-named all of her sons 'Maine' after a druid prophesised that Medb's son Maine would be the one to kill Conchobar, but it turned out that one of the sons killed Conchobar, son of Arthur and Bruide, not Conchobar, son of Fachtna Fathach, as Medb had assumed the druid meant.