CÚ CHULAINN

CÚ CHULAINN

An Irish hero who was a son of a mortal and a god, Cú Chulainn was a might warrior and champion of the Ulstermen in their war with the people of Connaught.

His given birthname was Setanta, but after killing a vicious dog belonging to a smith named Culannn and then taking the place of the guard dog until a replacement could be found, he gained the name Cú Chulainn, meaning 'Culann's hound.'

As a child, he was evidently an inhumanly strong boy, and full of the spirit of adventure. One day, he overhears the druid named Cathbad teaching pupils, telling them that whoever took up arms* that day would have everlasting fame. Cú Chulainn liked the sound of that, so he goes to King Conchobar and asks for arms. But the weapons he receives are too weak for his mighty strength and he keeps breaking them, so King Conchobar gives him his own arms.

However, because he did not stay for the whole lesson, Cú Chulainn failed to hear the rest of what the druid Cathbad had to say; whoever picked up arms that day would indeed have everlasting fame, but they would live a short life.

When he's older Cú Chulainn wants to take Emer, daughter of Forgall Monach, as his wife. But Emer's father is opposed to this and sends Cú Chulainn away to train with Scottish warrior-woman, Scáthach, not intending for him to return alive. While gone, Forgall tries to give his daughter's hand away in marriage to the king of Munster, Lugaid mac Nóis, but when the king learns of Emer's love for Cú Chulainn, he refuses to marry her.

While training with Scáthach, Cú Chulainn comes face to face with her enemy, Aife, and finds that they are evenly matched. He demands Aife bare him a son, and while she is pregnant, he returns to Emer, but Forgall still will not allow him to marry her. Furious, Cú Chulainn storms Forgall's fortress, kills numerous of his men, abducts Emer, and takes Forgall's treasure, causing Forgall to fall to his death.

Eight years pass and Cù Chulainn and Aife's son, Connla, comes to find him. But when he refuses to identify himself, Cú Chulainn kills him, and when Connla splutters out his last words, he realises who he is and is immediately struck by grief for what he has done.

Many years go by, and Cú Chulainn is riding out to kill men who are conspiring against him. However, he is eventually killed while fighting against them, and after he receives the fatal wound that killed him, he managed to tie himself to a pillar so he could die standing and facing his enemies.

As the druid Cathbad's prophecy had foretold, Cú Chulainn did receive everlasting fame, but he had a short life, indeed dying at a young age.

G L O S S A R Y

* Arms: weapons