ISIS

ISIS

Said to be the goddess of fertility, motherhood, magic, death, healing, and rebirth, Isis or Aset was the first daughter of Geb, the god of the Earth, and Nut, the goddess of the Sky. Originally, Isis had a very limited role in Egyptian mythology, but during the time of the Egyptian Empire, her popularity grew immensely. She took on traits from other goddesses, and people even went as far as to build temples dedicated solely to her. She also became depicted as a woman who wore a throne-like hieroglyph on her head and adorned the goddess, Hathor's sun dress; a sun disk between the horns of a cow.

Isis' magical powers were said to be more powerful than any of the other gods. People believed she watched over the skies and the natural world, also protecting the kingdom from any enemies, and even having power and will over fate itself.

During the Hellenistic period, when Greeks came and settled in Egypt, the Greeks also adopted the worship of Isis, along with that of a new god, Serapis. However, Isis' worship and popularity came to an end as Christianity arose between the fourth and fifth centuries CE.

Isis was known for being apart of the Ennead of Heliopolis, a family of gods and goddesses who are directly descended from the creator god, Atum or Ra. She was married to her brother, Osiris, and became his queen.

After Set kills Osiris, dismembering his corpse, Isis and the other gods search for them, re-assembling him. Osiris is revived and brought back to life with the help of the grieving Isis and Nephthys, and Isis' magical incantations. Restoring breath and life to Osiris, he and Isis proceed to conceive their son, Horus. However, Osiris can only live on in the underworld. Isis went on to help her son once he had grown up to challenge Set after Set took control of the kingdom, but she and Horus are often portrayed to have many conflicts between them. The most known one is the one where Horus beheads her, and Isis replaces her head with that of a cow's, which became the origin myth for the cow-horn headdress she is depicted wearing.