THE SOLAR TWINS

THE SOLAR TWINS

While Apollo and Artemis were the god and goddess of the sun and moon, the actual embodiment of the two celestial bodies were Helios and Selene. Along with their sister Eos, the three brought the three distinct times of day: dawn, day and night.

The three Titans were the children of the Titans Hyperion (the Titan of Heavenly Light) and Theia (the Titaness of sight and the blue sky).

Eos was the Titaness of the Dawn. She was the mother of the the Anemoi and Astraea, the goddess of innocence and purity.Her symbols are saffron, chariot, cloak, roses, tiara, grasshopper, cicada, and the cricket. Her consort is Astreaus, the Titan of Dusk. She is often said to be cursed with falling in love for eternity by Aphrodite for laying with Ares.

Helios was the Titan of the Sun. He was the father of many children some include: the Charites, Phaethon, the Horae, and Pasiphaë. His symbols were the sunflower, rooster, chariot, horse, incense, aureole, rooster and the heliotrope. In the Odyssey, he killed odysseus's crew for killing his cattle.

Selene was the Titaness of the moon. Her children were Pandia the goddess of the full moon, Ersa the goddess of dew, and fifty other daughters. Her symbols were the chariot, crescent, bull, billowing cloak, torch and bull. Her two lovers were Zeus and Endymion. Selene asked for Zeus to grant Endymion immortal life and eternal youth.