CHILAM BALAM & POPOL VUH

In Mayan mythology, there are two versions in which the world was created. There is the Popol Vuh and the Chilam Balam, the Popol Vuh typically originates in what is now Guatemala while the Chilam Balam originates in Mexico.

In Mayan mythology, the creation of the world occurred because of the deed of Huracán, the wind and sky god. When the sky and earth connected there was no space for anything to reside, so a Ceiba tree had been planted. When the tree began to grow, it moved everywhere; from the root spreading to the underworld to the branches entering the upperworld. The trunk of the tree allowed space to on earth for plants, animals, and people. According to the Mayans, animals existed long before humans did but humans were created due to the fact that animals could not speak to honor the gods.

In Mayan mythology, there are three creations thus far. Much like the way of the Aztecs, those who inhabited the earth had been destroyed which lead to a new creation.

— MADE OF MUD
The men and women who were made from mud were seen as "speaking but not thinking", in Maya literature it is said that the people who originated from mud could not function or think in the capacity that humans do today. Because they were mud, they were not technically mortal. The gods were not please with their creations so they destroyed them with water.

— MADE OF WOOD
When the gods chose to make their second versions of human, they chose to create them from wood. These humans adapted better, they could function like people do today but they were hollow on the inside. They had no souls and did not honor the gods as they were supposed to. Their immortality was stripped and they were destroyed; though they only remained dead for three days and then they rose. The true destruction that fell upon them was the boiling hot water that the gods poured on them, they say that those who survived this downfall became monkeys.

— MADE OF MAIZE
This creation of humans is known to be the humans that are in today's world. They were made from white and yellow maize dough combined with the blood of the gods. The gods created four men and four women but they were deemed to be too wise. The gods believed that humans who were intelligent were a threat when it came to authority, these humans were almost destroyed but the Heart of Heaven (also known as Huracán) numbed their minds so they were no longer as wise as before.

In contrast to the Aztecs, the Mayans didn't necessarily believe in the end of the world. The end of humanity was different than the end of the world because they knew the gods would simply create more humans to roam the world. Some maya beliefs included the fact that the destruction of humans and continuous creations in imminent.

The gods chose to destroy their creations because they would not, or could not, worship those that created them. The gods refused to have creations that were not loyal and unworthy of providing sustenance to them.