THE STORY OF CREATION

While many other religions and mythologies speak of creation in great detail and decription, Celtic mythology is one of the few mythologies that does not.

However, a few Celtic myths have mentioned that giants created Heaven and Earth, and these beings were considered by the people who believed this to be the original ancient gods.

According to another Celtic myth, creation was brought into existence by the primordial*, first god who had a melody playing on his breath.

In the following passage that is from a Celtic myth that claims in the beginning, nothing living existed - not even gods - but that the planet was comprised of land and sea.

"Once upon a time, there was no time
and that was when there was also no
gods and no man walked the surface
of the land. But there was sea,
and where the sea met the land, a
mare* was born, white and made of
sea-foam. And her name was Eiocha."

From an oak tree that grew in the ground there sprouted a plant, and this was where Eiocha gave birth to the first god Cernunnos. Cernunnos mated with Eiocha and from there more gods were born into the world.

But the gods grew lonely and wanted people to command and to worship them, so from the wood of the oak tree they created the first man and woman, as well as other animals.

And from a bark of tree that Eiocha hurled into the water, giants were born.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything more specific or detailed about the origins of creation - not even the origins of the stories above are known, which is why it is unclear whether or not they are original stories or later inventions.

Because Celtic myths were once only preserved orally*, later Christian influences could have distorted or altered them.

GLOSSARY
* Primordial - Existing at or from the beginning of time; primeval.

* Mare - The female of a horse or other equinne animal (Germanic, Celtic origins) / A woman (British origins).

* Orally - By the means of speech; verbally.