LONO

LONO

The deity Lono is associated with fertility, agriculture, rainfall, music and peace. In one of the many stories of Lono, he is a fertility and music god who descended to Earth on a rainbow to marry Laka. In argricultural and planting traditions, Lono was identified with rain and food plants. He was one of the four gods who existed before the world was created.

Lono was also the god of peace. In his honor, a great annual festival of the Makahiki was held. During this period (from October through February) war and unnecessary was was forbidden. Lono would also bring rain to leeward areas during the winter Kona storms. He brought on the rains and dispensed fertility, and as such was somtimes referred to as Lono-makua (Lono the Provider).

Ceremonies went through a monthly and yearly cycle for the god. For eight months out of the year, the temple was dedicated and required strict ceremonies. Violators could have their property seized by priests or overlord chiefs, or be sentenced to death for serious breaches.

LONO AND CAPTAIN COOK
Upon Captain Cook's arrival on the islands, some Natives believed that Captain James Cook was the incarnation of Lono, and misidentification may have ultimately contributed to Cook's death. It is uncertain whether Cook was mistaken for the god Lono or one of several historical or legendary figures who were also referred to Lono-i-ka-Makahiki. According to some there was indeed a tradition that such a human manifestation of the god had actually appeared, established games and perhaps the annual taxing, and then departed to Kahiki, promising to return.

Another and earlier Lono-i-ka-makahiki legend was that this Lono was born and brought up not far from the place where the bones of Keawe and his descendants lay. Woven into basket-work like those of his ancestors from the time of Liloa, near the place where Captain Cook's grace stands, a monument to a brave but in the end too highhanded visitor among an aristocratic race such as the Polynesian. This Lono cultivated the arts of war and of word-play and was famous as a dodger of spears and expert riddler. He too may have contributed to the tests of skill observed during the ceremony of the Makahiki.