Chapter Ten | Don't Test Her

"No, that's not how you do that, Caleb," Chloe barely managed to choke out through her laughter. Tears were about to start streaming down her face soon.

Chloe, Caleb, and Linda were all playing games in the living room. Right now they were playing Chutes and Ladders. It should be an easy game, but all Caleb wanted to do was climb the ladders and go down the chutes. Not only that, but he was determined to make sound effect through the whole thing.

Caleb ignored Chloe and continued on climbing the ladders, "choo choo choo," soon he reached the top and instantly raced over to the nearest chute. He slid down quickly, "weee!" he shouted. Not once has he spun the spinner. That can't even capture his attention. He would much rather play on imaginary ladders and chutes.

At least imaginary ones were better than real ones, Chloe thought, grinning at him and laughing hard.

"Come on, Caleb. Let's play the game correctly. Or at least give me my turn," Linda said, sounding impatient.

They have learned something about Linda tonight. She is surprisingly very impatient when it comes to board games. She is also very competitive, even with she plays with four-year-old children and their spoiled brat of an older sister.

Chloe's smile faltered at her thoughts, though looking at Caleb again fixed that. She can never stay mad or sad while looking at him. That is just too difficult to do. Caleb just radiates happiness and joy.

Caleb looked up at Linda in shock. Chloe tensed up, not sure what was going to happen. "We are playing a game?" Caleb asked in astonishment like that was some major news to him.

Chloe couldn't help herself, she instantly doubled over in a giant belly laugh. Linda followed her shortly, after recovering from her shock. "What did you think we were doing?" Chloe choked out between her laughs. She tried to stop, but that was impossible.

Caleb's confusion grew. His eyebrows furrowed together and his mouth was pinched shut.

Chloe laughed again, her heart full. Caleb's confusion face is one of the best. It's so adorable, a face of pure childishness.

His face then broke out into a giant grin and big eyes, laughter pouring out of his mouth. Chloe was sure he didn't understand what was happening, he probably just wanted to be included in the fun stuff that made his sister and babysitter laugh.

Who would want anything other than being included in fun stuff?

Chloe knows she wouldn't. This was shaping up to be one of the best days of her life. Way better than how it started and how at school.

"Miss Chloe," a deep voice came from the entrance to the living room.

Chloe sobered up, not wanting a member of her family's staff see her have fun. "How can I help you?" she asked in her normal snotty voice.

Linda shot a disapproving look that she caught in the corner of her eye. Immediately Chloe relaxed her face, taking it away from pissed off and annoyed and changing it to a calm one.

Chloe could see shock registering in on the butler's face. That was surely something he never thought he would see. He attempted to smooth it over with coolness and continued speaking, "I have a visitor for you, Miss Chloe."

Chloe debated on rolling her eyes, unsure how that would look, or which personality she would be using. She had already forgotten about the bet she made with Linda. The one where she was supposed to maintain calm and relaxed in the house. The one where she wasn't allowed to be rude or obnoxious to anyone, including all staff members and guests to their house.