“Maybe I can come see you later—,” he started to say.

            “No, that’s okay,” I said quickly. If Damien came over, it would only further complicate things. “I mean, I’m fine. It’s nothing serious. I wouldn’t want you to worry.”

            “Oh, okay,” he said, unsure.

            “But thank you anyway.” I tried to change the subject. “You guys were awesome last night! I’m so glad I went! You looked amazing!”

            “We were just warming up the crowd,” he said. “I wish you could have stayed to see us really rock out!”

            “Me too.” I did. I really wished I could have stayed. But the guilt would have eaten me away. Just as it was doing now. I sighed and closed my eyes, feeling a real headache come on. “Actually, there’s something I need to tell you.”

            His voice grew concerned. “You can tell me anything.”

            “Not over the phone. When can I see you?”

            I heard the rustling of keys. “I’m on my way now.”

            But before I could tell him where we could meet, he hung up on the phone. Then I realized he was coming to the house. Panic took surface as I thought of what would happen if Ky and Damien came face to face. Everything would be ruined. I rushed to change into something more presentable. A white sweater and blue jeans. Splash some water on my face. Run a brush through my hair. I knew Damien could just come at any second. I forgot to brush my teeth and at the last second ran back to be rid of morning breath. Just as I was rinsing, the doorbell chimed. “I’ll get it!” I shouted through mouthwash. I ran like Wonder Woman down the stairs just as Gustavo opened the door. “Damien!” he exclaimed. “I didn’t know you were coming.”

            “Hey, Gustavo,” Damien said. “Amber asked me to come—.” Then his eyes found mine and he smiled. I smiled back when I heard a voice behind me. “Who’s at the door?” Instantly, Damien’s smile vanished. I was frozen in place. Of course, my worst nightmare just had to come true. Karma’s a bitch, alright. Would that be appropriate in this case?

            I tried to shake it off, like it was nothing and rushed forward, forcing a smile. “You’re here.” But Damien didn’t pay attention to me. “Who are you?” His voice was angry and hurt and confused and empty all at the same time. I almost felt like crying.

            “Oh, I’m Ky,” he said it was like it was the simplest answer to global warming. “You’re the boyfriend, right? Great performance, last night, by the way.” He sounded like he had a big grin on his face and sure enough when I looked, he did.

            Damien’s voice was directed at me when he spoke. “Why is he here?”

            I opened my mouth to say something but Ky beat me to it. “Oh, didn’t she tell you? I’m staying here for a few weeks.” I could have hurt Ky in that second. Yelled at him. Beat him to a pulp. But my anger dissolved at the look on Damien’s face.