#40 Write From the Heart

"Have you ever had a sister? Everyone has had a sibling? I once had a sister."

Yeah, none of these opening lines were catchy and I knew nobody would be interested in reading a book with any of those openings. With such a slow week at work, there was time to work on my writing during work hours and of course at home after work. During that week of writing, I kept thinking about the recent text message from Sabrina telling me she needed an answer from me by December. The company was in the process of looking for twenty new authors to launch new books in the new year.

"Write from the heart. What is it that you always wanted to say, but didn't know how?" Sabrina told me over the phone when I called her on Wednesday Afternoon needing advice.

"How was your date with Ben?" asked Savannah when I got home. She saw the kiss goodnight from the doorstep.

"I'm in love." Surely enough this girl was on cloud nine and was moments away from fainting out of a happy heart. "He's so cute and handsome. His hair is... ah, his hair."

"Hmm, interesting. I take it your day went well."

My body found itself on the kitchen floor in pure joy. "He invited me to sit with him at lunch."

It was her sisterly duty to lay on the floor with me and she did. Her hand held mine.

"I'm glad you enjoyed your date. Ben's a nice guy. He always offers everyone a stick of gum in our class."

"I wish I could shout to the world that Ben is the most amazing guy ever."

"That's not like you at all. You seemed scared about tonight's date. What happened?"

"A sister will lay on the floor with you after a date."

Another terrible hook. As that Friday Night progressed, there would be no sleep. There was work to be done with all the digging that had been done for my poem and comic strips. Late into the night, these two pieces of work were evaluated by me. What had made these pieces of work so good in the first place?

"How's the story coming along?" asked Avery who showed up to my house on Saturday Night as we sat on my cold rooftop.

"Well I know for certain I want to write about Savannah and how she was a sister, but there's a lot of work to be done. How are you doing though?"

Her eyes were focused on the moon. "Well, I broke up with Doug and I'm going to need a new place to live soon."

"Oh crap! You seriously broke up with him?"

There was a smile on her face with a couple teardrops. "I don't know. I did a lot of thinking after all the relationship talk I had with you and felt he wasn't the right guy for me. It's fine though, I'm going to be in Phoenix in January. Already found an apartment online."

My hand held her hand tightly. "You're actually going to Grand Canyon?"

"For sure."

"Well slap me hard. I guess I need to give Sabrina an answer."

"You know what I don't understand? If you're still not sure about Sabrina or Phoenix, why have you been spending all your time this week trying to write a book."

That was a good question and she had a good point. Why was I doing that? If only I could be more decisive.

"Even without Sabrina or Phoenix, I feel this book is something that I need to do."

What do you think Margo's Book should be about? How should she open it? And Avery broke up with Doug! Was that the right move?

Believe it or not, were so close to the end. There are only 8 chapters left! And I have something exciting coming!

Chapter 41 is going to be a really fun chapter. If this story has been too sad, 41 will be a nice break.

Don't forget to comment and vote!