#24 The Dreaded Lunch with Sabrina

The car arrived at In-N-Out soon enough. It was a decent white looking building. There was a buzz from my phone. It was a Snapchat Notification from Sabrina.

"Meet me inside."

Stepping inside, I couldn't believe how packed the place was. The line went all the way to the door. Never had I witness such busy employees. One could only assume that the food was good if the place was like that.

"Margo!" shouted Sabrina giving me a hug.

"Hey Sabrina," I remarked back a little uncomfortable. "It's been a while. Have you ordered yet?"

"No, we have to stand in this long line, but don't worry girl the food here is like the best food ever. Lots of carbs and grease, but so good."

The entire time we were in line, she bragged about her daughter Daisy and how she loved gymnastics and could count to a thousand. Daisy didn't sound all that amazing. Once we got to the front of line, I was shocked to see how small the menu was. The only limited options included the "Double Double," the "Cheeseburger," and the "Hamburger." There were also fries, beverages, and shakes. The shakes were also limited options. When it came down to it, we both ordered a cheeseburger meal. Amazingly our meals were ready within two minutes with a line growing outside of the building. Once we sat down, we began eating and it shocked me that it didn't cross Sabrina's Mind to say grace. Perhaps I had grown accustomed to it.

"So how have you been girl?

"I've been getting there. Reconnected with Steve. We officially became a couple last night."

She coughed on a bite of a fry. "You're seriously dating Steve now. Wow, look at you girl, dating your in-law. I honestly thought you and Ben made a cute couple."

"Are you still an editor for California Magazine?" I asked changing the subject already irritated because she seemed to forget that she stole Ben from me.

"No. The reason I moved out here to Phoenix was because I got a new job at Render Publishing as an Executive Editor and Publisher."

The more we got into this conversation, the worse the food got. I wasn't really liking the food in the first place. "Isn't that the company that Principal Walker started, and Savannah invested some of her money in during high school? I never thought it would last."

"Oh girl, this company is growing. We got a lot of great and aspiring authors under contract. Have you read 'Flames of Johnny?' It's killing it as a best seller right now."

It soon dawned on me that Sabrina could be my big break. Maybe she wasn't so bad after all. Maybe I could learn to forgive her.

"You know, I've always had an interest in writing."

"That's true. I remember reading a poem you wrote for the school paper. Savannah did everything she could to make you turn it in. I was glad she did because it was totally amazing."

"You remember 'The Dog That Never Died?' I've been wanting to get that published especially now that Savannah's dead. It would be nice to keep her memory alive."

She put down her drink and breathed heavily as if she had bad news to share. "Margo, did Savannah ever tell you that she sold the rights to that story? It was part of the investment to the company. It's part of the reason I joined the company because I wanted to make sure it got published the right way. Girl, it sounds cliché, but I don't want her death to be in vain."

My ears couldn't believe what they were hearing. My own sister had already sold the rights to her passion project to a company that was barely starting out? What if the company failed? Was my own sister that stupid? Where was Steve during all of this to be the voice of reason?

"Wow, way to destroy a dream," there was a little anger in my voice.

"Girl, I would be happy to get anything you wrote published. Here's the thing. What Savanna had was something from her heart and voice. She believed in her story so bad, that she took a risk on the rights not knowing if the company would thrive. All great authors and writers have their own voice and it all comes from their heart. I know deep down that you obviously have something to share. What's your voice, Margo? What's your passion? Once you figure that out, your writing is a lot more interesting and sellable."

She had a point, but I was confused.

"Why didn't Savannah tell me about this? She told me everything. I even said I wanted to publish her story and she basically told me that I should find my own voice like you did."

She sighed. "Girl, I honestly don't know why she didn't tell you. If it helps, she didn't tell Steve either. I'm sure she had her reasons."

Maybe she did have her reasons, but that wasn't comforting that Savannah didn't trust me or Steve enough to let us know that she was investing her money or selling book rights. I thought I knew my own sister. Lunch was a struggle. Thankfully it ended.

"I would love to show you my apartment," she commented after finishing our lunch. "Don't worry, it won't be long, and I'll get you back to your hotel. You'll have enough time to get to your flight."

Wow! It seems like Savannah didn't tell Margo or Steve about what she did? Was that the right thing to do? Should Margo join Render Publishing?

Comment and vote!