#25 Sabrina's Apartment

She drove me to her apartment. It wasn't half bad. Not to poor and not to fancy.

"Make yourself at home girl." I sat on her couch.

After about five minutes, she made her way to the couch with a picture. It was a picture of me and Savannah rough housing.

"You and your sister loved each other so much" she began tearing up. "I remember the day we went to the park to celebrate Savannah's acceptance to Arizona State. Me, Steve, Savannah, and You. Right before Steve arrived with the grill, I caught the two of you roughhousing. For me, this was a special moment. I always envied the two of you because I wanted a sister so bad. You both meant so much to me. I know that I was never perfect growing up and made life hard for you a few times, but Savannah loved me and accepted me even at my worst. I'll always remember her for that. And I'm sorry that she died because of me."

It was a beautiful late morning. The birds were out and chirping. Spring was here. Savannah was carrying a case of Sprite that she put on the table.

"Sabrina and Steve should be here soon," she announced.

"What about mom and dad?"

"They'll be here later, for about an hour with the cake."

"What about the alcohol?"

She smirked and poked my arm. "There's no alcohol silly."

With that, my finger poked her nose and she did the same. We kept poking each other's noses and I'm not sure why we found it funny, but we did. The nose poking was followed by arm wrestling with both of us cheating and laughing about it. Before we knew it, we found ourselves wrestling on the grass. Savannah was laughing more than I was.

It really was surprising that Sabrina found that moment a worthy moment to take a picture, but I did appreciate it a lot. My eyes glanced at it for another moment. A tear left an eye.

"Thank you for taking this."

At that moment, Sabrina wept uncontrollably on my lap and I was fine with her on my lap for some reason.

"I'm sorry for crying like this, but I really do miss Savannah."

I found myself rubbing her head gently while she continued to weep. Slowly, I began to feel like a mother. After about five minutes, she settled down and looked like a mess. When she got up, I gave her a hug. She gave me a ride back to the hotel where we discussed memories of Savannah. Before I got out, she handed me a business card.

"Girl, I was serious, if you want a book published keep the card. I will make sure that book will see the light of day. And please, don't be a stranger. Just because Savannah's gone, doesn't mean we can't be friends."

I hugged her again and got out of the car and waved goodbye putting the business card in my pocket. Everything in me wanted to forgive her. I knew what she did was a mistake and she deeply regretted it, but I still had a hard time finding it in myself to do so. As I walked into the hotel, I checked my phone. Steve was on his way and he was back within five minutes showing up in the room with a smile.

"How did the interview go?"

"It went great. I honestly think I'm going to get the job. How was your day?"

"Oh, you know, just hung around at the pool. Nothing special." Did I dare tell him about my lunch with Sabrina? Lying would have to be the way to go.

At this point, should Margo forgive Sabrina? Should Margo be lying to Steve?

Comment and vote!