Chapter 2 Remind Me

Chapter 2 Remind Me

Lucas’s POV

          I silently sit in front of the bed, as my surrogate sleeps through the horrible pain I know she’s going through. I look at her painfully pinched face, before jumping quickly to my feet. Carlisle is waiting for me, as I enter his office, which doubles as a makeshift hospital.

          “Lucas, thank you so much for joining me” he says, but I wish he would drop the niceties. I just want to know the truth, good or bad.

          “Is it bad?” I ask, and he just looks down at the freshly printed report in his pale hands.

          “I’m afraid that the way things are looking at this stage in the pregnancy, that Samantha is most likely not going to recover from the stress of carrying a half vampire baby, I’m sorry” he explains, and my world comes crashing down. I never wanted anyone to get hurt, maybe we could figure some way of terminating the pregnancy, before she gets hurt. There has to be some way to get her out of this alive.

          “There has to be something to do. We can’t just let her die” I say, and he nods understandingly. For some reason his understanding nod pisses me off.

          “I understand that you are leery to go through with this, but the process of removing the fetus, would undoubtedly kill her, and the fetus. Which you definitely don’t want. I suggest we let her carry to term, and go through with our original plan. There’s no right or wrong answer here Lucas” he says, and I realize for the first time that Emmett should be here. Why is he not being included? I look around for him, and see with shock that he’s there, leaning against the wall. How could I have not seen him there? Am I losing it? I can’t deal with this. I need to get out of here for a bit.

          “I’ll be back in a little while, I’d like to be alone” I say, my voice cracking, as I run from the room. I sprint through the house, and hop into my car. Without pausing to think about anyone’s feelings, or even where I’m going, I’m off. I whip around in the yard, and speed down the dirt road, until I come to the highway. I sit there, waiting for the traffic to pass, and make a snap decision of where I want to go. I speed down the road, not thinking about police, or other drivers, until I whip past the sign that tells me I’m entering the Quilite reservation. I continue until I find myself on “First Beach”.

          I turn my car off, and climb out onto the cold, clumpy sand. I close my eyes, as the memory of my first visit here floods my mind. It was during the week when he brought me here the first time. It was one of the first places we went as a couple, and I haven’t thought about it in ages. This places is here to remind me of a time, when love was the only thing in my life. Before the vampire drama came about, and Emmett was just some mythical creature that walked out of teen romance series. It was such a different time, and I’ve grown so much since then.

          I wander aimlessly down the bead, until I come to the end of the shore, and the icy waves become crashing into my calves. I stand there, as the arctic waves of the ocean plow into me. If I were a human, I’d be catching a cold, but it feels numb now. I always feel numb. I know I came here to forget about the horrors that are happening at my home, but I start to think about Sam again. She’s going to die, so that I can have children. I still feel really terrible about her dying because of me, but even when I tried to talk her into terminating if necessary, she flat out refused. She wants to do this for me.

          I push her sickly pale face, from my mind, and look out at the water. I tune all of my surroundings out, and just concentrate on the distant sun. Even with the lapis lazuli ring, I can still feel the sun trying to drag the life out of my no longer living body. It’s weird to think that I’m dead. I’ve never really thought about it before. I should be in a casket, deep within the dirt. I guess you could say that vampires are another form of proof that God is good. I’ve never really been that religious, but vampirism is another example of God’s miracles. I laugh quietly to myself.

          That’s when I notice that the sun has gone down, and I’m surrounded by nothing but never ending dusk, sprawled out before me in every direction. I decide it’s time to head home, before Emmett gets worried. I turn around, and begin walking back up the downward sprawling beach. Just as I’m reaching the top of the hill, I get the sense that someone is watching me. I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and my body tenses in alarm. I look around with my superhuman vision, but there’s nobody there. I look behind me, but all there is are the eternally crashing waves from the never ending ocean. I quickly walk to my car, and begin the drive back home, but the feeling never leaves my mind.

Renesmee’s POV

          I can see the anger in daddy’s eyes, as he looks down at me. His green eyes are on fire, but I refuse to give up, until we leave here. Can he really expect me to stay somewhere that I’m not happy?

          “Renesmee Carlie Cullen, you do not leave school without my permission, and you sure as hell do not come home to pack your clothes and run away” mommy says, from my right. My eyes fill with tears because I hate to disappoint my mommy. I see her brown eyes soften significantly, before she looks down at her hands.

          “Mommy, I’m not happy here, I hate it!” I shout, reaching out to touch her arm. She tries to pull away in protest, but I’m already touching her. I show her an image of Grandpa Charlie, and Grandma Sue. I how her an image of all of us together, before pulling my hand away. She looks at me, but all signs of sternness are gone. Now I just have to work on daddy. He looks at me, and I reach out expectantly. He pulls away, but he’s already seen what I showed mommy, so I’m not worried. “I’m not going back to that school, I want to go to Forks high school!” I scream, the tears flooding over, and spilling onto my face.

          “Renesmee, we are not going to uproot our family again, just because you’re a little homesick baby girl” daddy says, but I jerk away. I touch him, and show him another image of me running away again. He looks at me angrily, and even though it hurts my feelings that daddy is using his angry face to look at me, I know I got my way. “Bella, I guess we’re going back to Forks, but Renesmee you need to know that you can’t get your way every time, and this was your one and only time for getting to overrule us. Now go get your stuff” he says, and I bounce all the way up the stairs. It’ll be nice to have family that loves me, and will remind me who I am.

Chloe’s POV

          I feel the car pull over, and eventually it stops completely. We sit there in silence, for a moment, before I hear his door open and close. Just as I’m about to remove the blindfold, my door opens, and his hand is there in mine. Jackson guides me up some path, and we stop. I can hear faint music playing, and the smell of Italian food is strong in my nostrils. He removes the blindfold, and I look around at the beautifully lit gazebo we’re standing under. We’re on the side of a mountain, and the gazebo is set up to resemble a fancy restaurant with all the fixings.

          “You did this for me?” I ask, with tears in my eyes. He nods, before pulling me into a tight hug.

          “I did it to show you that even though everything has changed, and our lives will never go back to the way we want it to, we can still be regular people and have regular, slightly over-the-top dates. Chloe, you are the most important person in my life, and just because we’re dead, doesn’t change anything. You know what they say right?” he asks, and I look at him totally nonplussed. He smiles at me, and just waits for me to guess.

          “A couple that gets slaughtered together, and dumped into the Atlantic Ocean, and rise again as vampires together stays together?” I ask, and he snorts with laughter. I look at him, and finally the depression from being a vampire is gone. It melted away like it was never there to begin with. I look into his beautiful eyes. They remind me of innocence, and of everything I left behind, when I left my human life behind. I may not have wanted to turn, but with Jackson I can deal with anything. We continue to eat our romantic dinner, and we just let everything disappear, and we’re the only people on earth. This is what ture love feels like isn’t it?